Done deal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 01:31 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sure it wasnt rod bearing he was saying. if your sure thats what he said then either he is giving you a hard time or he is not well versed in mechanics. after a overheat the plug wires usually get fried. you do need to find out where the coolant went. could be a bad hose or water pump or something more serious. you will also need to look for damage done because of the overheating. cracked block or head, warped head, blown or fried gaskets melted or damaged wires

Old 10-08-2012, 09:11 AM
In the Staging Lanes

hey everyone so my dad looked at it again and we found out the fan was out.. he later told me that the coolant kept going down after refilling was because it went into my engine since the fan went out... guess im buying a new fan now... any other suggestions would help! thanks all

Old 10-08-2012, 09:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Fxing the fan won't cure coolant loss if it is actually going into the engine where it shouldn't be.

If the fans are failing, it could cause an overheat resulting in the bubbling over of the coolant which would cause it to possibly overfill the overflow tank and have it dump out the bottom of the car.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:55 AM
4th Gear Member

^ What he said. A fan would cause an overheat, but a fan problem isn't going cause the coolant to run back to engine. The thermostat controls when and how much coolant enters the engine at a given time. A bad thermostat can also cause over heating, but I would first search for where this coolant is going as it has to go somewhere. That much coolant doesn't just disappear..

Old 10-08-2012, 11:35 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ok so it sounds like you were adding coolant to the reservoir and not the radiator. need to fill radiator and bleed air out. you will still need to look for damage done by overheating motor and make sure your not losing coolant. by the way what motor and year are we talking about?

Old 10-08-2012, 01:55 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
ok so it sounds like you were adding coolant to the reservoir and not the radiator. need to fill radiator and bleed air out. you will still need to look for damage done by overheating motor and make sure your not losing coolant. by the way what motor and year are we talking about?
what's the matter, are you too old to stand on your head or lay sideways to watch the video? It looks like Z28 badges to me with a 93-97 front end so an LT1 I would guess. I couldn't tell for sure because I still have vertigo from watching the video.

The fans might be bad or dad doesn't realize that the stock tune kicks them on at very high temps

do the fans engage when the A/C is on?

and to parrot what others have also been saying, the coolant went somewhere; find out where

Old 10-08-2012, 02:16 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
what's the matter, are you too old to stand on your head or lay sideways to watch the video?
Ohhhhhhh.....I see it now.
I thought the car was standing up on end, which would have easily explained some of the problems he's been having.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes

When refiiling the coolant i didnt put it in the reosovoir, but having use two bottles i dont know where to start to track down where it went.. I have no clue on bleeding air out? when having the overheating problem ive also notice that when i turn on the heater to cool the car down a bit, it doesnt blow out anything... ive never used a/c but would get back on that..by the way its a 96 z28 lt1

Last edited by Cammy; 10-08-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:42 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

how to bleed air from lt1 look here https://camaroforums.com/forum/lt1-l...-system-66742/ found in the how to and faq sticky at the top of the 4th gen general section. here https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02...rt-here-38462/ some good info for ya

Old 10-08-2012, 10:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes

thanks a lot guys... some more info on the damages... its looks like ive got a blown gasket because water is coming out of the pistons on the side and there is white smoke coming out the exhaust which is my gas burning because of misfire? i will have to resurface.. now im planning to get a set of gaskets on ebay, let me know if its worth it... also getting thermostat got a evap canister from previous problems... educate me more guys if theres any more sources or tips.. Thanks and thanks in advance..

Quick Reply: Done deal?