Done deal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 02:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Done deal?

Hey everybody, guess its just not my year one thing after another for my camaro.. after the starter problem the car for some reason overheated because my resovoir cap wouldnt cap on. the temp went all the way pass the last guage line.. after stopping and refilling the radiator the car shows no sign of response when trying to start.. whats my option here? thanks. also uploaded a video

VIDEO

Old 10-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

you have no power, check to make sure all your cables are tight.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:21 PM
In the Staging Lanes

that defenitley got it starting.. thanks a lot, but it sounds really rough now any idea why?

Old 10-06-2012, 04:28 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

check your oil to see if you have any antifreeze in it (it will look kinda like chocolate milk) also may want to do a block test and a compression test to make sure you didnt blow a head gasket. how long was it running once it got above 3/4 on the temp gauge?

DO NOT start the car again until you have confirmed that theres no damage to the headgaskets or theyve been fixed, coolant will destroy your engine.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:33 AM
4th Gear Member

hmmm

do not assume you know the reason why the coolant level went down. The only thing you know for sure is that it went down a lot. You now have a rough sounding engine which consumed coolant.

You may find that the cap was the reason you lost coolant and somehow you dislodged a spark plug wire or have a bad one.

Or, you may find that a head gasket is the reason for coolant loss and also why the engine runs rough

Old 10-07-2012, 11:51 AM
In the Staging Lanes

it was running past the 3/4 mark for a good ten minutes.. i havent drove it since the inccident but started it for my dad to see.. he said the hard or rough sound may be because of rack n pinion after the overheatinf... right now im just getting parts and hoping to get more info from this forum.. thanks

Old 10-07-2012, 12:27 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cammy
it was running past the 3/4 mark for a good ten minutes.. i havent drove it since the inccident but started it for my dad to see.. he said the hard or rough sound may be because of rack n pinion after the overheatinf... right now im just getting parts and hoping to get more info from this forum.. thanks
I'm a bit confused on what you said here, but are you saying it may sound rough due to the rack and pinion after overheating? What does a steering component have to do with the engine running rough?

Old 10-07-2012, 12:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes

what i meant was after the overheating; it did something to the rack n pinion which is making the rough sound...

Old 10-07-2012, 01:20 PM
2nd Gear member

na, the rack and pinion is the steering setup.. if you dont have antifreeze in the oil, id start the car, let it warm up all the way, then one by one remove the injector plugs and listen for change in the idle.. if removing one does is not followed by a rougher idle then its possible you killed a plug. idk but maybe you should start there (simplest things first)

Old 10-07-2012, 01:24 PM
2nd Gear member

and in that vid you can clearly see your terminal is lose and no power is running through the car. If you were trying to crank it and youactually heard the starter trying, and it wasnt cranking, then youd have a major issue. thankfully it wasnt.

Quick Reply: Done deal?