does anyone have pics of rear wheel bearing one the axle is pulled?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 12:02 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default does anyone have pics of rear wheel bearing one the axle is pulled?

as the title says, thanx!

Old 12-30-2011, 06:50 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i guess thats not something anyone takes pictures of. may be another way to help, why do you need the picture.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:55 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner
Old 12-30-2011, 08:58 AM
2nd Gear member

dude i have seen it on you tube video :-)
iam sure if u need help i will post link for u

Old 12-31-2011, 10:55 AM
3rd Gear Member

well the reason for change is because its at a level of noise that doesnt sound too safe, i ordered timken bearings and seals off rockauto, and i wasnt sure how far in the rear axle house was the bearing, whether or not it was close to the diff or sat near the wheel, i`ve only changed the front style bearings and press bearings like on older cars, so this is new to me

Old 12-31-2011, 11:06 AM
3rd Gear Member

69 in the guys thread of the removal, he used a slide hammer to get out the seal and bearing, but howd he hook it to the bearing?

on a side note, i noticed the driver side bump stop looked like it snapped, while the other side is good, is that a sign of some other trouble?

Old 12-31-2011, 11:37 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The bearing is a press fit into the axle housing, and you need to slide hammer it out. Check with AutoZone, they probably have a free rental. I've made my own bearing slide hammer, using an auto body slide hammer and washers, cutting the sides of the washers to make them rectangle shaped to slide through the bearing at an angle. The washer/steel plate will be on the back side of the bearing, pulling it out as you slide the hammer.
When you get the axles out, inspect them closely for wear grooves, as the roller bearings ride on the axle. Look at the left axle in the 5th pic in the link, he had a nasty deep groove worn into that one. Even the right one is going to chew up a new bearing. If your axles look like that, don't bother putting it back together like that, you'll want to opt for "repair" bearings (offset), or new axles.
With the bump stop, your eyes must be better than mine. Seeing as he has aftermarket springs, probably lowering ones, he's probably bottomed out on the stop.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:27 PM
3rd Gear Member

yes i did notice the guys axle looked there was a grinder on it and i saw a pair from a low mileage car for $100 in case mine are bad, but i was referring to my bumpstop looking snapped off on the driver side . ive got a slide hammer, but the end has a thing shaped like a hand to but bolts through, i gota take a second look though

Old 01-03-2012, 03:57 PM
3rd Gear Member

bearings and seals came today,11 degrees outside though

i still have to change the pinion seal so will do that too as im opening the rear end, anyone know where the vent is in the rear, im not seeing it

Old 01-03-2012, 05:19 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by auto
bearings and seals came today,11 degrees outside though
i still have to change the pinion seal so will do that too as im opening the rear end, anyone know where the vent is in the rear, im not seeing it
Be sure to ask if you don't know the proper (shadetree mechanic) procedure for replacing the pinion seal.
It's not just a take it all apart and put back together thing, at least, not if you want your gears to last.

Quick Reply: does anyone have pics of rear wheel bearing one the axle is pulled?