Do I have to use premium?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 07:01 PM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: Do I have to use premium?

BP 93 and you cant go wrong. Runa can of sea foam 2 or 3 times a year it could also help keep her running strong.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:05 PM
2nd Gear member

I worked in the Fuel Industry for a long time- what people have said about finding a reputable station to fill up is entirely true. Every pump has several filters (canister type, similar to an oil filter in appearance) that remove the contaminants and sediment from the fuel before it is pumped into a vehicle. I have personally witnessed stations that would only change the filters when the pump would literally slow down from the level of clogging in the filters. These are supposed to be changed monthly at the longest, I think many stations that are busier change them weekly.As far as mixingregular and premium octane, this is actually how "mid grade" is made anyway. Most stations just have two tanks- one for super\premium and one for regular gasoline- and mid grade is attained by simply mixing these two together. I would definatly run premiumgas in your Z-28, for all the reasons listed above, and as people have said the increased cost is really not that significant. Hope some of this helps...

Old 11-06-2007, 01:51 AM
April 2008 ROTM

ORIGINAL: M*******LT1

I worked in the Fuel Industry for a long time- what people have said about finding a reputable station to fill up is entirely true. Every pump has several filters (canister type, similar to an oil filter in appearance) that remove the contaminants and sediment from the fuel before it is pumped into a vehicle. I have personally witnessed stations that would only change the filters when the pump would literally slow down from the level of clogging in the filters. These are supposed to be changed monthly at the longest, I think many stations that are busier change them weekly. As far as mixing regular and premium octane, this is actually how "mid grade" is made anyway. Most stations just have two tanks- one for super\premium and one for regular gasoline- and mid grade is attained by simply mixing these two together. I would definatly run premium gas in your Z-28, for all the reasons listed above, and as people have said the increased cost is really not that significant. Hope some of this helps...
Everything this guy said is correct. Same info I was going to state. (I've changed these filter before haha.)

However, you never know how good of a worker the owner of the station is. If he is a cheap *** and doesn't want to pay for filters all the time, who is to know?

I however did used to go to a shell station across from my work, and 7 times out of 10 the pump I would always go to would be slowed down due to the clogging of the filter. I could tell the guys never changed them. So I switched stations where this problem never seems to exist.