Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 09:30 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Do I have to use premium?

Or can I just use reg. unleaded

Old 11-03-2007, 10:43 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: Do I have to use premium?

For your LT1 your should use Premium. Its a high compression engine and requires a higher octane fuel.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes

for sure recomended, if you dont want to becuase it is more expensive just realize that on 20 gallons at 10 cents more per gallon it is only two bucks, i know anyone can figure that math but some times it seems like it would be a lot more, really for the problems it can cause it is really cheap and should make it perform a lot better

Old 11-04-2007, 10:36 PM
1st Gear Member

ya the premium is better but it is the gas itself that could be lacking, it sucks but the better the gas mobile, shell of course the more exp gas is refined better and there for in it self better then the cheaper gas staitions. long story short the better the product gas the less likly of problems down the road and in overall better proformince and longer lasting motor.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:00 AM
April 2008 ROTM

ORIGINAL: 8485Chevycowboy

ya the premium is better but it is the gas itself that could be lacking, it sucks but the better the gas mobile, shell of course the more exp gas is refined better and there for in it self better then the cheaper gas staitions. long story short the better the product gas the less likly of problems down the road and in overall better proformince and longer lasting motor.

Yeah, but the cost of gasoline at certain gas stations has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of gas in their tanks. Absolutely nothing. My Father was in the oil/gas retail business.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:49 AM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 8485Chevycowboy

Just to add onto what I said earlier and to what 8485Chevycowboy stated. It is best to go with a reputable branded gas station. To furthermy point, a few years ago the Confederate Air Force used either BP or Shell avgas on some of their B-17's. It turned out that there was something wrong with that fuel, and it ruined the engines on the B-17s. Well that branded reputable gas company paid to have brand new engines put onto those airplanes which had to reach into the hundreds of thousands range. I only buy gas from reputable branded gas stations such as Shell, Mobil, and Chevron. I would especially advise that since you have a high performance engine that you too get premium gas from the places previously stated. Cheaper gas stations you've never heard of get their gas fromthe same refineries other stations, exception is they get it from multiple sources from whoever they can get the best deal. Another thing about those un-branded gas stations is that usually they are older establishments that have passed through several hands over the years, have older equipment and underground tanks that more readily accumulatecondensation when they don't keep their supplies topped off because they are waiting to find their next bargain shipment. That type of gas can ruin your fuel pressure sensor and fuel injectors in particular, and cause a whole mess of other problems.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:20 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

No, you don't need to run premium. A lot of people think that simply using premium fuel is going to boost your performance. Nope. Premium will boost performance (in reality prevent you from losing performance, I'll explain later) only if your engine requires itdue tohaving a high compression ratio. Yours has a 9.4:1 ratio, not what I would consider "high", but higher than other engines out there. Take a Nissan Maxima for example. That has a high comp. ratio of 10.3:1 and it definitely requires premium. In "old school" engines like my 69, running a lower octane in a high compression engine could eventually do damage, and the engine will give the old "marbles in the cylinder" knock. But, newer computer controlled engines have a knock sensor. So lets say your engine requires a high octane fuel, but you want to use a lower grade. Instead ofgetting a "marbles" knock, your knock sensor picks it up and retards the engines timing so that you don't get engine knock. And, retarding the engines timing from optimumwill cause you to lose performance, and most likely gas mileage too. I would play with 87 and 89 octane and see if you notice a change in either performance or gas mileage. You should run a couple of tanks of each and try to be objective and drive it the same way so that your right foot doesn't skew the results. And as was stated in earlier posts, you want to use a good brand of gas. Most of the gas we use comes from the same place, the difference between brands is the additives and detergentsthey put in, or don't put in. Premium octanedoes not necessarily mean good gas.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:33 AM
4th Gear Member

Confederate Air Force?? Didnt kno there were airplanes during the Civil War...

Anyway, can i just throw premium inthe next time i get to a 1/4 tank or do i need to get the old regular out before i put premium in?

Old 11-05-2007, 01:59 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

ORIGINAL: Spartan66

Confederate Air Force?? Didnt kno there were airplanes during the Civil War...
Anyway, can i just throw premium inthe next time i get to a 1/4 tank or do i need to get the old regular out before i put premium in?
Funny one..yeah they had secret planes during the Civil War, but only the North had themand that's why we won!
Seriously though, the Confederate Air Force is now called theCommemorative Air Force. It's an organization thatpreserves and showshistorical planes at airshows. To answer your question,read my response above about premium fuel.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:53 AM
2nd Gear member

hahaah the wright brothers WERE from ohio!

Quick Reply: Do I have to use premium?