Do Car Covers ? Scratch Paint ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 11:27 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Do Car Covers ? Scratch Paint ??

I don't have a carport so the Z stays out in the weather. I wanted to order a car cover but didn't know if they are worth the $300 to $500 and if anyone has used them or not. Thanks

Old 12-09-2009, 11:45 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I would not pay much more then 300 for a good cover. Make sure its an out door grade cover. Many are for indoor storage. As a general rule a good cover will not put a scratch in your car. It should protect it some. But if you live in a windy area the edges of the will get "scuffs". these normally rub out pretty easily. Also a good hvy coat of wax will help the scuffs from happening. Watch out for the lure of cheap covers. If they old in mositure they can do more damage then good.

Do you live in a wind area? If so i have some tips for keeping th cover on the car.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:48 AM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I don't know personally, but I've heard that the more expensive ones like the ones you're talking about will not scratch or ruin the paint. They're apparently 'worth' the money. That seems like a lot imo just for a cover. The cheap ones apparently will possibly end up scratching. I'm looking to get a cover soon, too, because I parked the 'maro for the winter.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:42 PM
1st Gear Member

It can get windy down here sometimes, but not a continuous wind. The sun and cats seem to be the most damaging.
I would be taking it off and on alot too.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I had a few different covers over the years. I liked these guys http://www.calcarcover.com/

I think their "Storm Weave" is pretty good. It lasted about 5 years. It was done in by a cat using it like a scratching post. Like I said over time the edges of your paint will get dulled. I doubt one winter would do anything.

Just a hint, run 2 pc rope along where the front and rear axel line are under the tires. Get tarp clamps and tie them to the rope and pull the cover down and hook the clamps up. This way the weight of the car has the rope pinned down and the tarps clamps will keep your cover on. I can't tell you how many time I found my cover completely off the car after a bad storm.

If the storm is real bad get a garbage bag fill it with towels and then a couple of gallons of water and put it on the hood and trunk. Just remember to remove them after the storm cause they will hold moisture in. This will really cut down on the rapid flapping that will dull the paint.

Last edited by Gorn; 12-09-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks everyone for the insight. Guess i will wait until after the layoff in Jan to see where i'll be before buying one. Might move and find a place with a carport. The neighbors cat is a real problem and I definately wouldn't give it a scratching post !!

Old 12-11-2009, 07:54 AM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Make sure your car is clean before you put the cover on it- any dust will cause more damage than anything else with the cover rubbing against it.

I spent $100 on one that wasn't custom-made for the car, and it's caused no problems for me. 'course, it doesn't flap around very much when it's got a foot of snow on it.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:49 AM
1st Gear Member

As Saint Ebony said only put the cover on a clean dust free car. Also, either shoot the neighbor cat or spray a bunch of ammonia around your car every couple weeks. Cats can not stand that smell & it will help keep them away.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:57 PM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

buy the slp car cover,,, its 200 and it has uv protection, waterproof and can be tightened around the bottom theyve worked amazing for me. I put a good coat of wax on it and then the slp cover,,, mine sits out with snow on it too... btw put zest soap bars opened in ur car to keep mice and squirrles out they work better than moth *****

Old 12-12-2009, 07:11 PM
3rd Gear Member

i agree, shoot the cat, problem solved.

Quick Reply: Do Car Covers ? Scratch Paint ??