Dino, Synthetic or Blend....

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 07:02 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Dino, Synthetic or Blend....

For a higher mile LT 1 what would you guys reccomend? They sell the high mile blends which I imagine have more zinc in them??? The previous owner of my car was using dino for the last couple of changes. Should I go back to synthetic or a synthetic blend?
TIA

Old 06-15-2012, 07:11 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Dino oil starts to break down pretty much as soon as you start the engine. Synthetic goes a lot longer before it starts to break down (that's one of the things that makes synthetic what it is). Because of that, you can stretch your oil change intervals out further than dino oil. Plus, it keeps the engine's innards cleaner than dino oil does. Do the math, and synthetic oil really doesn't cost more.
Next opinion poll.......which is better, smooth or crunchy peanut butter?

Old 06-16-2012, 07:02 AM
3rd Gear Member

I have seen higher mileage cars that have been run on dino all their lives develop leaks from switching to synthetic.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:25 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by jkeaton
I have seen higher mileage cars that have been run on dino all their lives develop leaks from switching to synthetic.
My car has only had one owner before me. They used synthetic all the way up until the last 2 oil changes. When I opened up the engine to reseal the intake, it looked pretty clean. Had a build up of carbon on the underside of the intake itself from the emissions/egr drain back pan, but otherwise pretty clean for 147k miles.

Thats why I am considering a synthetic blend or a high milage specific synthetic of some type....

Old 06-16-2012, 07:30 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

imo synthetic is finer or has smaller molecules (dont know) whatever it is it does seem to be able to find its way outa places regular oil cannot to leak. i have used synthetic in high milage motors without issues and have used it in high miles engine that did develop small leaks after using it, no gushers just drop at time. just so you know i use synthetic in all my vehicles.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:33 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by craby
imo synthetic is finer or has smaller molecules (dont know) whatever it is it does seem to be able to find its way outa places regular oil cannot to leak. i have used synthetic in high milage motors without issues and have used it in high miles engine that did develop small leaks after using it, no gushers just drop at time. just so you know i use synthetic in all my vehicles.
Yea, I use synthetic in all mine too.... just havent had anything with this kind of mileage on it..... My 98 Chevy Pickup has 78k miles on it, My Z06 has 84k miles on it and the wifes 740il has 112k miles on it. Im leaning towards a high mileage blend for the next oil change then maybe switch to synthetic if everything remains fine.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:37 PM
2nd Gear member

i use synthetic in mine, 207,000, and only have very tiny leaks...whether that is from synthetic or the 207 grand im not sure. But I dont have to top off the oil in between changes

Old 06-16-2012, 05:33 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I've changed over to synthetic on a few cars without issue. The "synthetic can cause oil leaks" myth doesn't have to do with viscosity, or the molecules of the oil. It's because synthetic has greater cleaning abilities. An engine that grew up on dino oil can have a build up of sludge, which can actually mask a bad seal or gasket. Changing over to synthetic oil will eventually clean away the sludge. If you later develop a leak, it's only because your engine already had bad seals or gaskets, you just didn't know it because of the old goopy build up of oil.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I had a 214K mile 4.3 in an s10 that i switched to full synth, no problem. and it was a rustbucket turdmobile lol

and had a 188K 4.3 jimmy that was always a synth, and it had a small drip here and there.

just trying to help back up the argument that you have a leak, or you don't, the oil isn't really the cause of it.

fwiw, i just got a 95 w/ lt1, and it will be going synth as soon as i do an oil change! if it blows up, i'll let ya know lol

Old 06-24-2012, 12:11 AM
4th Gear Member

117k miles and I've used nothing but Mobil 1 synthetic since owning the car (bought with 112k miles) and haven't ever had a problem. Remember though, the oil is only as good as the filter. No point in putting in full synthetic oil and buying a crap oil filter (Fram is one). I use Mobils filter too.

As far as peanut butter goes, I prefer creamy.

Quick Reply: Dino, Synthetic or Blend....