detailing paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 07:57 PM
1st Gear Member
Default detailing paint

hey guys, i figured i would post here because this is the most visited part of the website basically, and it does have to do with my car. the black paint on my 95 camaro has pretty bad swirl marks and reeeeeally fine paint chips (don't really know what to call them, about the size of a ballpoint pen tip, maybe a little smaller) all over the car. i have waxed my car with a buffer twice, and it wouldn't remove anything. do i need to go out and get rubbing compound and a polish for it?

does anyone have a pretty good step list for completing this?
i currently have - Mother's Clay Bar Kit, turtle paste wax, and an electric buffer

and does anyone have any good tips on removing very large water spots on my wheels? they are polished aluminum zr1 replicas. thanks a lot guys

the pictures are going to be large to show the detail of the paint

Name:  100_1574.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  146.7 KB
Name:  100_1573.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  67.5 KBName:  100_1572.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  73.3 KB

Old 04-27-2010, 09:02 PM
Default Aluminum rims ................. >>>

...... you can get all sorts a cleaners that are made for aluminun rims. Spray it on, let it sit for a few minutes, then rinse it off. Some work better than others ....
Also, if that doesn`t work, you can get a buffer - it looks like a lolly-pop. Soft sponge head on a "stick".... Insert the "stick" part into a hand drill chuck, give it some speed and start buffing. You can try various grades of polishing paste but always finish off with the finest grade - AND - don`t use the same buffer with 2 different grades of polishing compound.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:51 PM

Hey black95z28,

Well the easiest way possiable to would be to hire a professional, credible detailer it could cost anywhere between 200 and 500 and would take them 8 to 15 hours (when its done right).

If you want to do it yourself I would recommend doing plenty of research on buffing products before you buy them. It gets real expensive real quick!

I would recommend buying a DA (dual action) buffer with a 4" hook and loop backing (the porter cable 7424xp is great for both beginners and pros) and 5 & 1/2" foam pads with levels of cut ranging from heavy to medium to finishing pads. as for polishes, I'd look for an "all in one" polish for starting out. these types of polishes contain cleaners, cutting agents, filling agents for fine scratches (sometimes). these polishes often take the place of a 3 step polishing process (heavy cut, medium cut, finishing polish).HD uno makes a GREAT All In One polish
Meguair's makes some pretty good polishes. I would suggest their #105 & #205. the #105 is used for heavy and medium cut & the #205 can be used to remove the swirls from the #105
depending on the level of correction that your looking for, if you are looking to remove ALL the scratches you should invest in the DA, pads & 3 polishes (or the 2 Meg's polishes)
all of these products can be found at autogeek.net
they also have some good videos for how to use all this stuff

sorry this was so long, but this is kinda the short and sweet version

also the little "chip" looking things in the paint and probably "pits" in the paint. this happens to older paints. kinda just one of those things that happens sometimes

Good Luck