The Deers did it to me again.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 06:26 PM
1st Gear Member
Default The Deers did it to me again.

Well, this is the second deer I hit with my 98 Camrao. The damage isn't any worse than the first time but the insurance company is calling the car a loss. I did by back the car a scrap value and I'm going to repair it. Here are some pics.

Attached Thumbnails The Deers did it to me again.-010.jpg   The Deers did it to me again.-011.jpg   The Deers did it to me again.-img_20131230_133423.jpg  
Old 01-07-2014, 08:27 PM
4th Gear Member

I understand how insurance companies determine a car totaled. But I see a new fender, bumper and possibly a new headlight assembly plus paint to make it look new again.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:02 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

stupid deer,,,, did air bags deploy?

Old 01-08-2014, 05:20 AM
1st Gear Member

"But I see a new fender, bumper and possibly a new headlight assembly plus paint to make it look new again."

Yes, plus some sub frames. The last deer did much more damage.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:21 AM
1st Gear Member

"did air bags deploy?"

No.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:31 PM
Overdrive Member

The "frame" is fine, I can see that in the pics. Yea there is a little dent in the upper rail but not enough to change the geometry of the car. Looks like there is a little sheetmetal damage behind the headlight which is not too hard to fix. Your bumper mounting point may have taken a little damage as the face bar may have too but from the pics I cant tell, again some sheet metal work to fix.

New fender
New bumper cover and brakets
New facebar (pending inspection after cover removal)
New upper bumper cover brace (grey fiberglass (smc) part)
New headlight assembly
New park light assembly
New hood (cant tell from the pics but the other damage suggests it may have been hurt)

Parts alone are going to run you a good $500 if the hood took damage, a shop would prolly only run you about $500 to repaint the damaged areas so what totaled the car and what totals most cars is the labor. I am going to guess that labor for the total repair including paint labor was upwards of $2000, and that alone would have totaled the car. Check my Garage and look at the damage my car took when I was T-boned and that was over 4K by shop price, I had the whole job done myself including paint for $1500.

Massey

Old 01-10-2014, 05:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Massey
The "frame" is fine, I can see that in the pics. Yea there is a little dent in the upper rail but not enough to change the geometry of the car. Looks like there is a little sheetmetal damage behind the headlight which is not too hard to fix. Your bumper mounting point may have taken a little damage as the face bar may have too but from the pics I cant tell, again some sheet metal work to fix.

New fender
New bumper cover and brakets
New facebar (pending inspection after cover removal)
New upper bumper cover brace (grey fiberglass (smc) part)
New headlight assembly
New park light assembly
New hood (cant tell from the pics but the other damage suggests it may have been hurt)

Parts alone are going to run you a good $500 if the hood took damage, a shop would prolly only run you about $500 to repaint the damaged areas so what totaled the car and what totals most cars is the labor. I am going to guess that labor for the total repair including paint labor was upwards of $2000, and that alone would have totaled the car. Check my Garage and look at the damage my car took when I was T-boned and that was over 4K by shop price, I had the whole job done myself including paint for $1500.

Massey
You are really close. The hood took some damage but it is fiberglass. There are fractures in the paint but the hood itself looks fine. The parts have ran me close to $500. I'm not taking to an auto body shop so they can jack me over on price yet I'm going to repair it myself.

The first time a deer hit me I had to replace the same area and more. My neighbor did the work. He also wanted to repair it this time so he is.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:45 AM
In the Staging Lanes

wtf i think someone at the ins company is smokin crack

Old 01-10-2014, 02:51 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

^No it doesn't take much to total a 4th gen. When my 98 ss got it backed into I thought it was totaled. Luckily it wasn't. I still remember the person who hit the cars insurance lady falling out of her chair when I told her the milage on the car.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:09 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by mfmfim
You are really close. The hood took some damage but it is fiberglass. There are fractures in the paint but the hood itself looks fine. The parts have ran me close to $500. I'm not taking to an auto body shop so they can jack me over on price yet I'm going to repair it myself.

The first time a deer hit me I had to replace the same area and more. My neighbor did the work. He also wanted to repair it this time so he is.

I used to be a body tech when these cars were new. I fixed many just like yours and I had a couple to work on even after I left the body industry, including my Sarah. Well glad to hear you are getting it fixed.

Massey