dead battery again

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 12:29 PM
2nd Gear member
Default dead battery again

Are you flipping kidding me?!?! Help me figure this out. It's been dead twice this week. Only things done were straight wiring a speaker to the HU. Can that do it?? I took it to have exhaust looked at monday or tuesday. My mechanic (whom I LOVE) was showing me some things under it while the other guy was doing the other job. Anyway he I was asking about the oil level light coming on and if the oil pan was the one I had or not and he touched the sensor and two wires came out so he put them back. Would that do it? I'm at a loss.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:54 PM
2nd Gear member

I'd suspect radio if it had been doing it before now. I had that done sunday. Car cranked fine on monday and tuesday. Tuesday evening (4:30) I just redid that speaker. Wednesday around 2:30 I noticed it was dead. Instead of charging battery, he jumped it. We let it run for a while. Maybe it didn't get fully charged but something killed it again. So 4 pm on wed it was jumped. I didnt drive it yesterday. Noticed it dead again about 11 this morning.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:49 PM
2nd Gear member

May have it figured out. Alternator won't charge a dead battery. Right? So if I jump it, it's still gonna be dead?

Old 03-22-2013, 03:13 PM
2nd Gear member

Got battery on charger now. It was 8.42v Had it to spark on me! This battery stuff scares me and it doesn't look like I'll ever get brave enough to do it myself. Hubby said it's because I had the red thingy in the wrong hole on the voltage tester. Anyway I hope I'm right on this.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:52 PM
2nd Gear member

Yeah I can use the meter as long as someone doesn't put the probes in the wrong place. So u don't think maybe it wasn't charged enough the first time and that was cause. Because if that was the reason for 2nd time, I know why on first one. We got it up to 12.23v and cranked it. I drove it for about 10 miles and it's been sitting. I'll check it in morning.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:15 PM
4th Gear Member

I would take it to your local parts store and have them do a full system test on the car since it's free. This will test the battery, the starter, the alternator (with and without a load on it), and a drain check. Ask for them to print you a slip (I know Advance automatically does this) and see what the voltage and CCA of the battery is. Easiest way to narrow something like this down.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:25 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by jkeaton
First rule in using a multi meter.: check your connections...red to red...black to black...and check before you use it. Sorry, you do not know how to use a multimeter if you can't get the basics down before using it first. Do what crabby says. Take it somewhere and let them check it for you.
The red was in red and black was in black. It has many red ports on it.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:06 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Do what crabby says. Take it somewhere and let them check it for you.
I didn't know I was Craby now. Lol. But, I only suggest having a parts store doing it because we can go a little more in depth than a simple multi-meter can, not because some one else stuck her positive/negative in the wrong ports. Go a little easy on her because even I screw up sometimes with my multi-meter.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:28 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
Go a little easy on her because even I screw up sometimes with my multi-meter.
I'm sooooo used to that on here lol. I've been using that meter since Feb of 2011 and wasn't paying any attention that someone had played with it. Most likely my 6 year old.

On a side note, was looking at your profile, you're only 19??

Old 03-22-2013, 09:43 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dana
I'm sooooo used to that on here lol. I've been using that meter since Feb of 2011 and wasn't paying any attention that someone had played with it. Most likely my 6 year old.

On a side note, was looking at your profile, you're only 19??
Which is how it usually goes for me. Someone messes with it without me knowing and I go to use it thinking everything was the way I left it and it's not.

Yup. Haha. Probably one of the youngest members here.

Quick Reply: dead battery again