Cruise control question

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 05:19 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Cruise control question

I just purchased my first Camaro, 95, 3.4 convertible and just love it. I've wanted one since they were first introduced (which is a clue to my age), and now I do. I bought it on E-Bay and so had little idea what problems would arise. One that caught me off guard was the unusual OBD I configuration, OBD I with an OBD II connector. As a result, my present code reader won't work. Until I get one that will work properly, I have a code problem. I throw a code every time I try to set the cruise. Just a shot in the dark, but could this be the vehicle speed sensor in the transmission? Is it possible for the speedometer to work even if this is faulty. Sometimes the service engine soon light comes on and then goes off while driving with no noticable symptoms (with the cruise off) Just wondering if anyone has any insight into this.
Regards,
Bruce

Old 09-09-2007, 05:31 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Cruise control question

Does the light come on as soon as you set the cruise? Is the cruise control cable hooked up? When the light comes on then goes off could be "random misfire".

Old 09-09-2007, 05:45 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yes, the code is thrown as soon as I set the speed, but not when I hit the on switch. The cruise did work for awhile, but now I can't get it to catch. I saw there is an OBD I code that referred to the vehicle speed sensor and I wondered if the intermittant code was related to the cruise problem. A new switch is only about $30, so it wouldn't be prohibitive to just hang that new part and see what happens. But if that sensor being faulty also prohibits the speedometer from functioning, that wouldn't be the case because the speedometer works fine. I can't tell from my chilton manual if the connector from the VSS to the cruise control box is seperate from the speedometer. If the two are independent, then it might be a reasonable thing to try. Thanks for the comeback.
Regards,
Bruce

Old 09-09-2007, 05:51 PM
Overdrive Member

I'm not sure if it feeds both or not. When I get home I'll check it out in my Hayne's manual as well.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:45 PM
Tech Droid

Check the FAQ sticky in the 4th gen section "commom Q&A"

Old 09-09-2007, 10:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for the comeback. The third brake light problem cropped up for me early. I found a ground that was loose in the trunk that led to the third brake light. Once I grounded that wire properly, the third brake light again was operational, the ABS INOP light went out, and the cruise worked. But that was when I noticed the service engine soon light coming on as soon as the cruise set button was pushed. So I think the problem with the cruise must be elsewhere. When I bought the car, I drove it from Phoenix to SoCal, then to Vegas, on through Denver, and finally back to NE. Every so often the service engine soon light would come on and then go out by itself, sometimes even while driving. The ABSINOP light was lit the entire trip. It was after I got it home that I discovered the ground problem and fixed it. It seems they are all on the same circuit.
Regards...Bruce