Couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Default Couple of questions

First post here. I just had a couple of questions. I've always been a Mustang guy...but I love all muscle cars, and love the way the 4th gen Camaro's look

Come spring time I'm going to be in the market for a new car and as of now I've narrowed it down to a couple of choices, which happen to be complete opposites (E36 BMW M3 or 328iS, or an LS1 Camaro)

I was just wondering. How do the repair costs on the Camaro compare with a BMW of a similar year? And the next question is on reliability? I've read around that the LS1 is built like a tank and shouldn't have any problems if it's been properly maintained. How are they when they break that 100k marker? I'm going to be test driving a 2000 one tomorrow that has 101k on it.

Around my area, lots of people like to charge out the *** for Camaros (1998 V6 Camaro, someone was trying to sell for $8,000)

Old 12-07-2011, 04:55 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

first mustangs and camaros arnt muscle cars there pony cars... anyways camaros are way cheaper as far as repairs than bmws. any european car is going to rape you wallet when something breaks (i changed motor mounts on a 04 jetta... 225$ a piece and theres 4 of them as for the camaro 110$)

as far as reliable as long as the car is properly maintained youll have no problems seeing 200k

Old 12-08-2011, 07:31 PM
4th Gear Member

I'm going to be frank ( well, Frank isn't my name but I'm going to be brutally honest)

The NEWEST 4th gen is 10 YEARS OLD

you will be buying at the newest a 10 YEAR OLD VEHICLE with probably an unknown history

does a camaro this or does a camaro that are irrelevant because it's at least 10 YEARS OLD

find one with interior/exterior that is in as good of condition that you can afford

Old 12-08-2011, 08:01 PM
I Like to Party

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
I'm going to be frank ( well, Frank isn't my name but I'm going to be brutally honest)

The NEWEST 4th gen is 10 YEARS OLD

you will be buying at the newest a 10 YEAR OLD VEHICLE with probably an unknown history

does a camaro this or does a camaro that are irrelevant because it's at least 10 YEARS OLD

find one with interior/exterior that is in as good of condition that you can afford
This is a very true statement, dont do what I did, buy the cheapest one you can that just "looks" good.(Judging by my restoration thread,lol)If you find one in your budget MAKE SURE everything is up to par with what you want in a car that fits accordingly to your budget, mileage, exterior quality, interior quality etc. Let us know what happens, and remember, pics pics pics.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:36 PM
1st Gear Member

My 98 has 152k on the clock. Been fed castrol GTX Oil all its life with 3k changes. No signs of wear. Runs very strong. I was neck to neck with my dads T/A And he has a tune and only 90k. Imports will always cost more to fix then american cars. oh and I love mustangs to! Id love to have a 07+ 4.6 but there just to much money right now for the power they offer.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:41 PM
1st Gear Member

And when you go to see the car. Most likely if the body is crap and the inside they probably dint take care of it under the hood and they seen it as only a beater. I looked at 5 Ls1s 3 Lt1s before I found my 98. They where all beat up oil leaking junk. Then when I went to see the one I have now. The guy opened up the garage and my eyes bugged out and I knew that was the one. So when your hunting for one don't get stressed out. It's not always the first few you find

Old 12-09-2011, 08:24 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bill2129
And when you go to see the car. Most likely if the body is crap and the inside they probably dint take care of it under the hood and they seen it as only a beater. I looked at 5 Ls1s 3 Lt1s before I found my 98. They where all beat up oil leaking junk. Then when I went to see the one I have now. The guy opened up the garage and my eyes bugged out and I knew that was the one. So when your hunting for one don't get stressed out. It's not always the first few you find
that would describe my 95 in its current shape.

if we decided to try to sell it, the buyers offering low numbers would be shoo'd away

rebuilt powertrain, suspension, interior, brakes and getting new paint in the spring

but, that's why we aren't selling

Old 12-09-2011, 08:31 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by iLL95
This is a very true statement, dont do what I did, buy the cheapest one you can that just "looks" good.(Judging by my restoration thread,lol)If you find one in your budget MAKE SURE everything is up to par with what you want in a car that fits accordingly to your budget, mileage, exterior quality, interior quality etc. Let us know what happens, and remember, pics pics pics.

yeh, but you posted that you paid $800 so you probably knew what was in store for you.

If you add up what we spend to fully rebuild/restore the vehicles (including new interior) and try to sell for only 1/2 that cost then most bottom feeding buyers would be surprised to learn that $5,000 is the min price.

with 10-19 year old vehicles you will find either a high priced collector, a high mile vehicle that the owner knows requires serious cash to get back up to par, or vehicles, such as some of us here have who have refreshed the old vehicles

Old 12-09-2011, 08:38 AM
I Like to Party

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
yeh, but you posted that you paid $800 so you probably knew what was in store for you.

If you add up what we spend to fully rebuild/restore the vehicles (including new interior) and try to sell for only 1/2 that cost then most bottom feeding buyers would be surprised to learn that $5,000 is the min price.

with 10-19 year old vehicles you will find either a high priced collector, a high mile vehicle that the owner knows requires serious cash to get back up to par, or vehicles, such as some of us here have who have refreshed the old vehicles
True, I felt like an antique restorer after I finished (and that's not even restoring a 60-80's car) I do admit, I knew what I was getting myself into and was prepared for it, just trying to let the O/P know it doesn't have to come down to that lol

Old 12-11-2011, 01:28 AM

Thanks for the opinions guys. I went and test drove a 2002 Z28 the other day and holy hell are those fast. Probably seemed faster because I've never driven a v8 car before.
I've heard the 2002 is the year to stay away from though. is that true?

And yes, I'm sure repairs are cheaper. I currently have a '95 525i and the fuel pumped had to be replaced a couple weeks ago and that ran me around $530. Pump itself was $285.

What does a routine maintenance repair on a Camaro usually consist of?
Is there any real difference between the Z28 and SS?
Would I be able to pick up a nice Camaro for around $6,000-$7,000?

Quick Reply: Couple of questions