couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 06:30 PM
1st Gear Member
Default couple questions

1. after my 98 v6 warms up the oil pressure gauge fluctuates about 1-3 psi. Is there something wrong? could it have to do with the lifter click i hear at idle after warmed up?

2. I'm going to upgrade my sway bars soon with ones off a SS. What sizes should i look for?

3. Are springs something that get worn out and need replacement with new shocks?

Old 06-08-2011, 06:36 PM
August 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by nickb123
1. after my 98 v6 warms up the oil pressure gauge fluctuates about 1-3 psi. Is there something wrong? could it have to do with the lifter click i hear at idle after warmed up?

Oil pressure fluctuating that much isn't a concern to you honestly. What would be more of a concern to you is what specifically the pressure is, but it fluctuating a bit will happen. Low Oil pressure can signify potential problems with your motor, but thats for another time

2. I'm going to upgrade my sway bars soon with ones off a SS. What sizes should i look for?

The sway bars on the ss cars were only one size, now, the slp cars could potentially be different so don't quote me on it, but as long as it was an ss car, it should be pretty close to the same. You may want to look into a better front bar than stock, I had a suspension techniques front bar on my car and a stock rear and the car felt amazingly solid. just fyi

3. Are springs something that get worn out and need replacement with new shocks?

Because you'll be in there doing everything anyways, if you have the money and know which direction you're going to be going with the car, springs won't take that much longer to do when replacing shocks. So, "can" they go bad. YES, but generally, people replace them to upgrade to something better
there you go

Old 06-08-2011, 07:01 PM
1st Gear Member

my oil pressure is at about 62 psi at idle so it should be fine then.
An ad on craigslist has a 98 SS parting out and the front is 32mm and the rear is 19mm. I look on ebay and there was a couple 23mm rears. How much of a difference would 4mm make?

Old 06-08-2011, 07:38 PM
3rd Gear Member

4 mm is a huge difference. is recommend staying with the stock rear unless your going with ss rear springs as will. Otherwise your rear end will slide all over the place. This is info that was passed down from others to me. Just pick up the front and if the guy still has the aluminum drive shaft get that as well. You'll notice a bit more pick up and go from your car over the one price steel you have in your car right now.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 3800camaro
4 mm is a huge difference. is recommend staying with the stock rear unless your going with ss rear springs as will. Otherwise your rear end will slide all over the place. This is info that was passed down from others to me. Just pick up the front and if the guy still has the aluminum drive shaft get that as well. You'll notice a bit more pick up and go from your car over the one price steel you have in your car right now.
It would be a better idea to to keep the 17mm bar in the rear? I am going to add bilstien shocks and maybe lowering springs if i can find used ones.
The aluminum drive shaft makes that much of a difference? I didnt think it would affect it so much, what is a good price for one?

And I have another question to add. My power steering is terrible right now. When it gets warmed up its really loud and acts like im steering a car with manual steering. So im going to replace the pump. Is there any other parts like the pressure line i should change out too? and is there a filter in the system somewhere?

Old 06-08-2011, 08:01 PM
3rd Gear Member

Have a real good look at the hoses and check for sweating. Also look at the rack and check out the boots make sure they are still in good condition. Do all this once it's warmed up.

Get the 19mm one to replace your 17. Also get mounts for them. You'll need to get new bushings and end links. Try to find poly urithane ones. Stiffer and stronger.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:14 PM
1st Gear Member

I think i know why the power steering system is so bad. when i replaced the engine and started it for the first time i paid attention to the engine and not the power steering. so i drove 2,000 miles with out bleeding it. i think the rack and pinon is still good, it dose not feel loose at all. And let me get this right, 19mm instead of 23mm for rear, right? I know i may be asking the same thing with the sway bars but i want to be sure this is the best thing for it.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:40 PM
August 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by nickb123
I think i know why the power steering system is so bad. when i replaced the engine and started it for the first time i paid attention to the engine and not the power steering. so i drove 2,000 miles with out bleeding it. i think the rack and pinon is still good, it dose not feel loose at all. And let me get this right, 19mm instead of 23mm for rear, right? I know i may be asking the same thing with the sway bars but i want to be sure this is the best thing for it.
be careful going with a bigger rear bar, some people will like the effect it has, some won't. It will make the rear a little twitchier (is that a word?) I would stick with a bigger front bar and leave the rear bar stock for now and see how you like it

Old 06-08-2011, 11:15 PM
3rd Gear Member

Ya go 19. It'll allow a bit more rear reaction while cornering and won't kick out like a mad man like the 23 would.