couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 01:46 PM
1st Gear Member
Question couple questions

ok i got my rs front ground effect in the other day and it needs to be painted and i want to do it right. what kind of paint should i get

also i heard some people remove the screen in the 3.8 TB whats the advantage to that? is it worth it?

and lastly my egr tube broke so i just plugged it now im reading that without it my gas mileage is gonna suffer. this true?

Old 06-24-2010, 03:06 PM
Tech Droid

The screen is in the MAF sensor, and won't do much by removing it, except possibly damaging the MAF. A properly working EGR may give slightly better mileage at cruising speed because EGR causes cooler burning, which in turn allows more spark advance, which may result in better fuel economy. A properly working EGR does not affect power at WOT.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:43 PM
Overdrive Member

To paint the GF properly you may want to have a local body shop handle it for you. Just to let you know to buy a pint of paint (automotive grade) and thinner, clearcoat and hardner, plus a few other things needed to prep the part you will be out about $300 (in my area that is, states like CA will not even sell it to some one who does not have a license for body work) Then you will need the spray gun and compressor. Dont forget the respirator if you dont have one... you dont want to breathe this stuff trust me on this I have perminate lung and nervous system damage from painting, and I did use a respirator.

A body shop has all that stuff needed and will prolly do it for you for a couple hundred, Macco could prolly handle it for even less and still come out good.

Massey

Old 06-24-2010, 06:11 PM
1st Gear Member

ok thanks massey im gonna look around at some shops tomorrow.

with the erg im confused how does it cause cooler burning? doesnt it take hot exhaust and put it into the intake?

Old 06-24-2010, 07:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Just to elaborate a bit on the EGR the following is from wiki

EGR works by recirculating a portion of an engine's exhaust gas back to the engine cylinders. In a gasoline engine, this inert exhaust displaces the amount of combustible matter in the cylinder. This means the heat of combustion is less, and the combustion generates the same pressure against the piston at a lower temperature.

Thats what Pete meant I do believe by the cooler burn.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:06 PM
1st Gear Member

o ok that makes sense so heres an idea that i got.

because i dont want all that dirty exhaust running back through my engine could i attach a tube that goes from the just behind the air box to the egr to get rid of the low flow code that i got? this proably wont give me the cooler burn effect but it would kill the code right? and it would make sure i don't suck any dirt into it?

Old 06-25-2010, 04:58 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Vandee
o ok that makes sense so heres an idea that i got.

because i dont want all that dirty exhaust running back through my engine could i attach a tube that goes from the just behind the air box to the egr to get rid of the low flow code that i got? this proably wont give me the cooler burn effect but it would kill the code right? and it would make sure i don't suck any dirt into it?

Low Flow code? I would check the egr valve ( carbon build up ) possibly replace it or if its bank one or two or whatever running lean / rich thats the O2 sensors . The egr has zero , zip , notta to do with air flow (air as in oxygen meaning the stuff we inhale) .The air has all ready been used in the combustion aspect by the time it hits the egr.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:18 PM
1st Gear Member

no i had the egr plugged so there was no air flow tru the egr witch trips a code its all fix now i have the egr connected to the airbox instead of the manifold that way it can still draw air

Old 06-26-2010, 11:37 PM
Overdrive Member

EGR through the air box??? Um this is not a good idea and if the hose is in front of the air filter then you have a possible fire hazard on your hands. The gasses from the EGR are still hot and can burn. EGR has been around for a long time and it is a proven system that lowers emissions without robbing any power. The EGR is not really dirty, there is a little carbon soot that is already in the combustion chaimber so it getting any more is not a big deal. I honestly if I were you I would put the EGR back to the way GM designed it, your car will be happier and you are not gaining any HP from removing it or moving the hose to the air box.

Massey

Old 06-26-2010, 11:41 PM
Overdrive Member

OH and you may have read that the 2001-02 LS1 engines do not have EGR, that is because, a software change in the computer they found that the EGR system became ineffective and the engine was still able to produce lower that EPA required emissions and not have the system. You paid a little more for a 2001 or 2002 than you did for a 98-2000 that had the EGR system, but didnt get the system. Now the 3.8L engines had EGR on them all the way through the 2005 model year when it was dropped. I hear that the engine is in production again but I dont know if it has EGR on it or not.

Massey