A couple Questions..

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 11:10 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default A couple Questions..

Hey Buddies

I just have a few questions, some of them might seem dumb but i'd still like to know.

1) I know what torque is and its principals, but i seem to be lost for words when i try to explain its differences with horsepower, so if someone could explain it clearly.

2) SeaFoam, has anyone mixed in with there Mobil 1 or any other synthetic oil? Seen any results?

3) I've read about the 160 Degree thermostat swap, but i haven't been able to read about its effects? Is it an easy change?

Sorry if these are stupid to anyone, im not the most knowledgeable about cars yet.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:43 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: A couple Questions..

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...que/index.html
that might answer #1 and i no that the thermostat turns on the fans at a lower temp to keep the engine cooler but dont no about the instal

Old 08-26-2008, 09:55 AM
1st Gear Member

I thought that the fans turned on at a preset temp, regardless of the thermostat. Dont they come on at around 220? And if your car gets up to 220 with a 190 thermostat, wont it still get to 220 with a 160? In fact, I know that a simple mechanical thermostat cantmake an electric fan come on any sooner.I think all electric fans come on at a preset temp, regardless of what temp thermostat a car has.Please correct me if Im wrong, I just thought these were basic principles.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:01 AM
3rd Gear Member

i never really looked into it but stock i think they come on at 220 but i thought the perpose of the lower thermostat was to get the engine running cooler and i think the fans come on sooner wit the new thermostat i could be wrong myself though

Old 08-26-2008, 10:05 AM
3rd Gear Member

yea i think ur right it doesnt do anything wit the fans sorry but it does run ur engine cooler

Old 08-26-2008, 10:10 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't even think it can make a car run cooler, it just takes a bit longer to get to operating temp. But it makes sense that if a car gets to 220 with a 190 thermostat, it will do the same with a 160 thermostat. Maybe someone can shed more light on the reason for a lower thermostat.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:55 AM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

I've got a 160 t-stat, and a switch to manually turn the fans on, so I can keep it around 180, which is a nice spot. A 160 t-stat just opens at 160, so the coolant will run about 180ish on the highway with proper airflow. But with my switch, I can keep the car between 160 and 180 sitting still.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:14 PM
4th Gear Member

Same here Steve. You guys wouldn't believe the difference of 220 and 170. You really do get about 10 hp out of it just because your engine runs cooler. Just be careful about grenading your engine lol.

Also... About torque.... Torque is the amount of power applied over a distance. The greater the distance (in this case, your camshaft), the more torque applied which means more power is exerted. One horsepower is equal to something like the amount of force required to move 33000(est) pounds 1 foot in 60 seconds. The way this translates is that horsepower is the amount of power applied at the crankshaft.... The torque is the result of that power applied to the camshaft over a certain length....

Now I'm not totally sure about this, so if I'm wrong, please, somebody call me out on it without flaming me....

Also I have never mixed seafoam into my crankcase. I just don't like the idea of it being in my oil... I run Mobil 1 synthetic and my father has for many years. Every car we've had, we have gotten 250000+ miles out of it without any mechanical failures. SO I trust it to continue the trend!

Your thermostat controls the temperature at which the thermostat opens... Nothing more lol

Old 08-26-2008, 07:07 PM
Overdrive Member

T-stat install is easy. Drain a little coolant out, remove a couple of bolts, then remove t-stat. Replace gasket, install t-stat, install the two bolts and fill coolant back up.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:58 PM
3rd Gear Member

Is the specific brand of t-stat, or just any kind?

Quick Reply: A couple Questions..