Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 06:05 AM
Unhappy Coolant Leak

Hello Gents, am seeking any expert opinion here, i have a camaro z28, model 1996, with 5.7l engine, today morning while warming up the car and getting ready to go to work, i figured out massive leakage coming from under the car, am pretty sure its not the radiator, the water is leaking from the engine itself in hug amounts, and i figured out that the leak is happening only while the engine is on, when i switch the engine off the leak will stop immediately.

and i don't know if this has to do anything with my issue, but last night i found out that the temperature gauge on my cluster is not working at all, its in the same position like when the car is turned off.

any ideas what could this be!!!, please help me on this as its driving me insane

Old 04-21-2012, 07:14 AM

Anyone Please

Old 04-21-2012, 07:36 AM
2nd Gear member

make a look on the heating lines since it's coming from the motor side.
the heaters lines are located in the battery side ( left of the car)

Last edited by androzer; 04-21-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:38 AM

Thank for ur reply, could it be a failing water pump as it leaks water falls only when the engine is on?

Old 04-21-2012, 09:15 AM

any other suggestions, i would appreciate any help in regards, am so frustrated

Old 04-21-2012, 09:17 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Since it could be leaking from: the water pump, radiator, radiator hose, heater hose, or head gasket, and we're here and you're there, you need to look under the car while the engine is running to see where the waterfall is coming from. Your gauge isn't working most likely because your engine is low on coolant and the temperature sending unit has no coolant against it to take a reading from. Don't keep running the engine with low coolant, you can make your problems worse.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:30 AM

thank you for your feedback, am pretty sure its not the radiator as it looks like bone dry, the leak is coming from the pass side directly under the alternator, am afraid that i screwed my engine, since i drove along when it over heated once

Old 04-21-2012, 09:31 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Uh-oh!!!! How long did you drive with it overheating? You could have warped your head, and now blown out the head gasket.
Still, I'd get under it and watch for where the coolant is coming from. With a big leak like you're describing, it shouldn't be hard to spot.
Top it up with water before you start it again.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 04-21-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:37 AM

i drove with it like 500 meters, but after i left it cool down, and i refilled the radiator with coolant i was able to drive with it 4 2weeks with no issue till yesterday.
Second thing i opened my oil dipstick and didnt find any milk shake figures on the stick, and while putting water in the radiator, am sure that there is no oil in the water, its only something like very tiny bubbles or foam like sea waves,no sweat smoke even the water dripping on the ground is only water no smell for oil, and its all water am sure, what that could be.........please am turning crazy

Old 04-21-2012, 09:54 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Ouch,,, LT1 is a tuff motor but you can damage any motor running it without coolant. Never drive any car that cannot build and hold pressure in the cooling system. As Camaro 69 stated there and many places the coolant can leak from. The fact the radiator is low means nothing. The coolant system runs in a big circle and when the pump is not pumping the coolant just goes to the lowest points. The fact that it only leaks with the motor on just tells you the leak is most likely above the water pump. That assumes to starts to leak as soon as you start it. It could be the water pump, heater hose, TB hose, intake gasket, head gasket, TB gasket, upper radiator hose. Since you are saying it is towards the center of the engine bay I would guess water pump or TB hose as the most common issues.

Do not run this car anymore. Either have it towed to a mechanic or fill it with water and go borrow a coolant pressure tester from a chain type parts store (autozone has them, you need a $75 refundable deposit) Jack the car up and apply pressurer to the system. Search You tube for how to use a coolant pressure tester. Lets hope it s $4 TB hose and you have not wiped out the motor.

Once you have the the major leak fixed refill it and see if the car can hold coolant pressure. If it does not your going to need to track down why. (if there is not external leaks and it will not hold pressure you may have damaged your motor. Once the car will hold pressure start the engine with the pressure pumped up to about 12 PSI and watch the needle. It should jump a little when it starts from the water pump but if it build pressure in the first minute you have blown your head gasket.

FYI, It is very rare for oil and coolant to get mixed in this type of engine design. It is caused mostly by an intake gasket failure. A coolant leak that comes and goes is most likely a water pump. Coolant system MUST hold pressure even if it does not seem to leak without pressure it CAN NOT work.

Last edited by Gorn; 04-21-2012 at 10:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak