coolant everywhere

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 06:02 PM
Default coolant everywhere

been lookin around, I can't fine ANY threads that help me. Last night i was idling at the gas station, making a phone call, when someone in a car next to me yelled "You're leaking green stuff". Great, and since my temp gauge doesn't work i had no idea how hot she was. I tried to book it home but it was gutless. As i was accelerating I think i got passed by a prius! Got her home and she was still leaking coolant like crazy... It was dark and i needed to go to bed for work so i just drove a different car today. no I'm off and one of my coworkers was nice enough to let me borrow his cooling system pressure tester. how do I do it? I've done it on trucks before but I don't know what to pressure it up to.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:31 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

A couple of things. With the gauge not working, and knowing you're spewing out coolant, why in the world would you keep driving the car? The engine slow down could have been from coolant drenching the ignition wires, optispark, etc. Could also be that the engine was overheating so much to the point that it was starting to lock up (that's bad).
Leaking as much as it was, you don't need a pressure tester. All you need to do is see where the coolant is spraying from when the engine is running, after you top it up first.
Likely leak points that come to mind are: head gasket, intake manifold gasket, water pump or gasket, a rusted out core plug (often mistakenly called a freeze plug), cracked block, split heater hose or radiator hose, split radiator. You could have caused some of these yourself, by not being able to monitor the engine's heat with a gauge, if it overheated for some other reason.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 09-28-2013 at 01:33 AM.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:25 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

f body lt1 caps are rated at 18 psi. that should be operating pressure.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:52 PM

I had to get it home, that's why I drove it. Still a mystery why the loss of power. Drives just fine now. Thanks for the PSI info, but i figured it out when I looked at the cap lol. there was a hole in a small hose, the hole was tiny, even with the pressure tester I couldn't see where it was comming from. It's the hose by the IAC and TPS really tucked in there. Autozone gave my fuel line hose and assured me it would be fine, it has been so far.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:03 AM
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like you got lucky this time. If it were my car I would fix the temperature gauge.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:15 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Naaaaah, gauges are better used as pretty dash decorations. Knowing the running condition of the engine (with a gauge), and knowing what's wrong before it's too late, removes a lot of the mystery and adventure of driving.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:36 PM
Tech Droid

Yep, much more useful to read text messages than reading the gauges. The car will let you know when it is broken enough, so why bother with the gauges.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:04 PM

I can't find the sensor to check if Its plugged in. on shbox.com it showed it being adjacent to the front spark plug under the exhaust manifuld on the driver's side... in my car there's just a hole. On my dad's buick the sensor is there but there are no wires going to it and his gauge works. He and I are totally lost.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:54 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

some have it at the back of the intake manifold. mine is just above the oil filter

Name:  P2260035.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  64.0 KB

Last edited by craby; 10-03-2013 at 02:00 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:07 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

^ lol, that one is the oil pressure switch. He's looking for the temperature gauge sending unit. Nice picture tho.

Quick Reply: coolant everywhere