Convertible top pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 02:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Convertible top pump

Top doesnt raise or lower when pushing button, not even with help. How do I check the pump or add fluid?

Old 03-21-2012, 02:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Did it work and suddenly stop, or did you just buy the car new? My first guess is the pump valve that controls manual lifting or motorized lifting is turned to manual.

If you have an owner's manual available, check page 2-75.

If not, then look on the Driver's side of the rear hatch. Opposite the spare tire, you will find the pump for the convertible.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:14 AM
In the Staging Lanes

got it like this. I found the pump but not sure how i know if the valve is at manual or motorized. Guessing the manual allows you to open and close the top by hand. If my pump is out and i put the top down how does it stay down (locked) without flopping around?

Old 03-22-2012, 12:04 PM

hi, check fluid in the reservoir , lever on top pointing forward is power, to the right is manual

Old 03-23-2012, 02:54 AM

I would test to see if your switch is getting power. if it is maybe by chance you accidently put the lever in manual and didn't know it. when it is on manual and the top goes down. there will not be a latch to keep it down it should just go down and stay down.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:47 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Ah ok. Ill check of theres fluid. Dont remember seeing a reservoir? maybe im blind.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:04 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ok so no fluid in there was told to use auto trans fluid so i did. It moved just a tiny bit when trying to get the top back up. Put the top up by hand and tried moving it down and nothing but I heard a gurgling type sound that was pretty audible/loud coming from the passenger side. Im thinking a leak? Where are the lines and how would I replace one?

Also how do i bleed this thing? I read to put the top down then fill with atf then move it up and down a couple time to bleed it. Do i keep the fill cap off or put it back on when doing this and am i moving it by hand or with the pump to bleed?

Old 03-27-2012, 08:59 PM

I just replaced all my lines on my 96 conv. I used ATF DEXIII. There will be gurgling coming from the pump for a bit until the lines fill up with fluid. Check the actuators, which are fairly easy to see them with the top up, to see if there is any fluid there. There will be two hoses, a pink one on top clearly visible and a white one at the bottom which might require some stretching to see. When all is said and done, the main reason new owners can't raise/lower the top is that they don't make sure the valve is set to work with the pump. if there is pressure you should not be able to move the top down or up when the valve is set for electronic.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:48 PM
Overdrive Member

NO, DO NOT USE TRANS FLUID! The correct fluid is an SAE 10 weight oil! Using ATF is a mistake in the documentation! I have posted the GM tech note here previously.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:46 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Gurgling by the pump and passenger side back seat are two different areas. Does anyone know where the lines run exactly and/or how to change them?
Anyone know if/how to bleed the lines? How long does it take get enough pressure into the lines?

Quick Reply: Convertible top pump