Considering buying a camaro!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 06:06 AM
Default Considering buying a camaro!

Hey so I'm thinking about trading my 1997 S10 for a 2000 Camaro 3.8 5-speed. It has t-tops and 140k miles... Any reason the guy would be selling it for $1800 that you guys can think of? as much info as possible is much appreciated! https://corvallis.craigslist.org/cto/5379947073.html

Old 01-12-2016, 11:10 AM
In the Staging Lanes

$1800 is a low price for that car. I would definitely try to see if anything is wrong with it, if not, that's a good price.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:57 PM

Any common issues with these cars? He said he has the title, ttops don't leak, nothing wrong mechanically... It doesn't have a stereo and there's a bit of clear coat peal that I can see in the pictures.. would that really bring the value down to $1800? If so then I'm happily getting this steal!

Old 01-13-2016, 08:37 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I'm not the person to ask about mechanical issues honestly. I can state the obvious like check all the fluids to make sure they look right (oil, trans, coolant, etc.) and check around for bad rust. It'll probably be obvious if it doesn't run, idle, or shift right. I hope everything goes well for you though, they're great cars to have.

Edit: If you have a mechanically inclined friend to bring or if the owner allows you to take it and have a mechanic of your choice inspect it, that would be great.

Last edited by Metalvayne; 01-13-2016 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Adding info
Old 01-13-2016, 11:11 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by luvdisturbed
Any common issues with these cars? He said he has the title, ttops don't leak, nothing wrong mechanically... It doesn't have a stereo and there's a bit of clear coat peal that I can see in the pictures.. would that really bring the value down to $1800? If so then I'm happily getting this steal!
why would you feel that it's a steal?

16 years old

the photos whch are not high quality reveal a chunk missing in the left front fender
dent in left rear quarter
paint/clear is shot

we know nothing of the interior, tires or brakes

I understand that for sub $2k cars that is generally what you get, about $500-$1500 of make ready work before addressing body and paint

It all depends on what you are looking to achieve. If I were looking for a project car, I'd pass right by this and in fact, I'd toss another $1k- $1500 into the pile and go get a V8 in better shape; but that's just me

example of a FL Z28 (no rust from FL)

z28 Camaro

Old 01-13-2016, 03:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey so I'm thinking about trading my 1997 S10 for a 2000 Camaro 3.8 5-speed. It has t-tops and 140k miles... Any reason the guy would be selling it for $1800 that you guys can think of? as much info as possible is much appreciated! https://corvallis.craigslist.org/cto/5379947073.html
That car has been on Clist for quite awhile. I live near PDX & keep my eyes out for a daily beater. Listen to what the other guys said. the other option is after you check car out, w/mechanic if possible & you want to move forward, other a much lower amount, or just run away. be patient......unless you have lots of bank

Old 01-15-2016, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
why would you feel that it's a steal?

16 years old

the photos whch are not high quality reveal a chunk missing in the left front fender
dent in left rear quarter
paint/clear is shot

we know nothing of the interior, tires or brakes

I understand that for sub $2k cars that is generally what you get, about $500-$1500 of make ready work before addressing body and paint

It all depends on what you are looking to achieve. If I were looking for a project car, I'd pass right by this and in fact, I'd toss another $1k- $1500 into the pile and go get a V8 in better shape; but that's just me

example of a FL Z28 (no rust from FL)

z28 Camaro
No chunks missing or dents interior looks pretty immaculate save for a lack of a stereo.. I'd post the pics he send but I'm new on here and have no idea how lol

Old 01-15-2016, 07:21 AM

No chunks missing or dents interior looks pretty immaculate save for a lack of a stereo.. I'd post the pics he send but I'm new on here and have no idea how lol
My bad! I see the dent now..

Old 01-15-2016, 12:42 PM
4th Gear Member

My bad! I see the dent now..
never buy a car on emotion

interior can get expensive if you need to re-upholster, replace carpet, headliner or panels

If the interior is good then that's a plus

next you need to accept that the sixer is not a performance car and will never be a performance car. No exhaust, tune or cold air intake will make it get up go and go faster than the Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. You need to accept that the sixer is not a performance car before you buy it.

The body is in tough shape and thus it needs a full sand/prime/base/clear in addition to dent and chunk repair.

Do you have the facilities to do that yourself? If so, you can get OK materials from Sherwin Williams for about $300 (cutting paste and polish is another $100)

The stock rims are butt-ugly (opinion) and are the tires in good shape? How about the brakes?

Anticipate tires/brakes/coolant flush/ rear end drain-refill/ if auto trans flush/ drain ps fluid and replace/flush brake lines/ new plugs and wires

when looking at used vehicles you need to know the costs associated with "make-ready work" namely the items I listed and if you must pay for those things, it's anywhere from $500-$2,000 (body work excluded) so any offer you make must take that into consideration and whether or not a sixer is worth it is your personal call. But, do your research on the cost of tires, cost for someone to do the above work and have that info with you when inspecting cars. Whether you can do the work yourself or not is irrelevant when negotiating.

good luck

Last edited by torque_is_good; 01-15-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:56 PM
4th Gear Member

its not a steal ,I got 99 3800 with 88.000 miles $2000.00 cold ac ,but found it had some rust under the car that needed fixing ,I was lucky the car is mechanically sound after 5000 miles an no problems ,an another $600,00 got it fixed ,a steal is when you find one for $4000.00 with 49.000 miles on it one owner ,if the car is mechanically sound its ok if you can get another 100.000 out of it ,big thing with these are the gaskets ,does the AC work ,how clean is it ,sometimes lots of pictures helps these cars will be all over craigs list soon ,I think you can get one with lower miles for a bit more money though all this does depend on where you live ,I have been CL from NH to fla an theres deals to be had ,most states have a check list Nh has 75 point checklist that one should bring with flash light ,an with these cars a small floor jack too ,some places you can get pre buy inspection done too, if they see you comeing with all that to help you an start asking ?? then you might not want to buy it ,I know its what I will do next time ,couse once a car is sold hear ,its done ,as is ,some states have like mass has lemits law for used cars like the lemon law for a new car but for a used car ,I did all this research after buying the 99 ,so far I got lucky ,but it can happen to the best of us ,as so I will down load the check list on my next car an be ready to ask if the seller minds if I have pre buy inspection done ,if they say aaaaahh run

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 01-21-2016 at 03:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Considering buying a camaro!