Code scanner, reader.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 09:00 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default Code scanner, reader.....

Anyone use one of these? Will it work on a 94 LT1?

Amazon.com: INNOVA 3120 Diagnostic Code Scanner with Freeze Frame Data for OBDI and OBDII Vehicles: Automotive Amazon.com: INNOVA 3120 Diagnostic Code Scanner with Freeze Frame Data for OBDI and OBDII Vehicles: Automotive

I emailed the company last week and have not heard anything from them, which makes me skeptical about any sort of customer support. It's either this or there are these cable/driver CD's on ebay but then you need to download tunerpro. Sounds like a lot of work. I would much rather have a handheld, but most say they will work with "some" 94/95 GM models. I've taken it to advance auto and autozone, neither of which have anything that can read the codes. My SES light comes on about 15 minutes into my morning and evening commute every day. Then goes back off about 5 minutes later. I hate flying blind and not knowing what is causing this.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Tech Droid

Your car has OBDI compliant PCM and uses a OBDI connector, so the 3120 should work fine. The problem occurs with the 95 models, which have a OBDI PCM, bud use a OBDII diagnostic connector, but even in that case the 3120 should work OK as it can do both OBDI & OBDII.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:02 PM
3rd Gear Member

This one did not work. All it did was make the fans come on (shorting the pins together). Never would connect. There has got to be some difference somewhere along the way when they went from being able to short the pins together and count SES flashes to whatever the 94's have. It's all OBDI, but there is something different. The search continues.....

Old 08-09-2012, 10:04 PM
3rd Gear Member

So what else can I try? Aside from the dealer...

Old 08-10-2012, 03:33 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I'm in the same position as you. My Advanced Auto told me that they didn't have a scanner that worked on my car also. My problem is, when i start my car in the morning before work my SES light will come on and the engine will rev a bit to like 1500 rpms then ill shut off my car and turn it back on and it'll idle fine at 1000 rpms but the SES light remains for a good 5 minutes at top and wont come on for the rest of the day unless it sits for a while without being turned on.

ps. not trying to thread jack just sharing because i think im in the same position as you which sucks ***** because that damn light scares me.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:48 AM
3rd Gear Member

No problem. Maybe if enough of us are having issues, someone will post up a link or a picture of what they are using with success. There is a guy selling a USB - ALDL cable and driver software on ebay for $60, but then you need to download tunerpro and then download some definition files and whatnot. There are some instructional videos on you tube about it, but I'm not sure if that will get me anywhere either and it seems overly complicated. I'm at the oint where I might jiust take it to the dealer and pay the fee for a diagnostic check, whatever the going rate is for that now.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:23 PM
Tech Droid

Here is what I used on my 94 Z28. Got it used on EBay when OBDII came out and many shops were getting rid of their OBDI only stuff. Works directly on all GM cars up to 94, and needs a cable adapter for the 95 cars.

Attached Thumbnails Code scanner, reader.....-otc-3750-img.jpg   Code scanner, reader.....-otc-3750-instr.jpg  
Old 08-11-2012, 02:59 PM
3rd Gear Member

Well, I was able to make the thing say "connected" by selecting a 92 model year, however it says no codes are stored in the cars computer. BUT, if I turn the key off and press the "get codes" button again, it comes up with the following codes: 24, 25, 26, 27, 32, 33 & 34. These are things like VSS open, IAT high, MAP high and low and something with the "quad driver module". I don't know if these arer valid codes because the way it picks them up. If I have the key on, it says no codes. Key off, no codes. Key on, then off, the codes show up....makes no d@mn sense.

Last edited by jkeaton; 08-11-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:03 PM
Tech Droid

With the key off you won't see any codes being that there is no power to the diagnostic connector. Apparently it does not like the EGR or the MAP sensor. The MAP has conflictiong codes so you may want to take a good look at it. As for the quad driver, hopefully it is just a random thing or some wiring problem, because to fix it requires a new PCM.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:14 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by z28pete
With the key off you won't see any codes being that there is no power to the diagnostic connector. Apparently it does not like the EGR or the MAP sensor. The MAP has conflictiong codes so you may want to take a good look at it. As for the quad driver, hopefully it is just a random thing or some wiring problem, because to fix it requires a new PCM.
I just replaced the MAP sensor a few weeks ago. Maybe it caused a code by being new, i dont know. I have an appt.with the dealer Monday. I'm going to pay the $90 just for peace of mind. I'm also going to disconnect the battery for awhile and clear the codes. See if they come back.

Quick Reply: Code scanner, reader.....