clutch cylinder problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 08:40 PM
Ninja Administrator
Default clutch cylinder problem?

ok guys. so i had a couple goofy things happen today. openned up my bottle and apparently i have a leak by the solenoid now.... but i cant find it.... but anyways i hear this hissing comming from the front of the car, pisses me off.....

but immediately after this i go to put the car in gear and I cannot get into any gear. its not grinding, just wont let me in. I give it a little gas which either fixed the problem or did nothing and it was happenstance. so im in gear, and the clutch is engaging about an inch off the floor, normally it grabs over half way up. this is verrry strange. again, getting on the throttle seems to fix the problem, temporarily, but after driving again it comes back (the fast engaging pedal) and about 3/4 of the pedal travel is dead. it keeps coming and going, along with the difficulty getting into gear. its not syncros, the gears never ground (grinded? grund? whatever) they just refuse to go in like the solenoid pin is blocking it, or CAGS or something.

gimme a hand here, whaddo I need?

Old 08-19-2008, 09:43 AM
Ninja Administrator
Default RE: clutch cylinder problem?

seriously nobody knows?

Old 08-19-2008, 11:48 AM
3rd Gear Member

try giving it a flush with new fluid, my friend has a similar problem with his s10, im not sure though, do you think the solenoid could be bad?

Old 08-19-2008, 11:52 AM
Ninja Administrator

it got new fluid last year (for the record.... i just tried to spell it flewid before i realized that im dumb.....)

only about 5k miles on the tranny since then. i did a little reading and im pretty sure the master cyl is bad. im looking at doing my whole clutch and tranny upgrade deal ehre pretty soon now. just wanted to make sure thats what it was

Old 08-19-2008, 11:56 AM
3rd Gear Member

lmfao

but yeah i would double check it before you spend your time and money fixin somethin that aint broke

Old 08-19-2008, 03:08 PM
Overdrive Member

Is the master losing fluid? It may be leaking into the carpet. Usualy when they go bad that is what happens.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:43 PM
Ninja Administrator

carpet? the entier underside is coated in rubber, i dont think its going to reach my carpet anyways. ill check for fluid on the ground though.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:15 PM
1st Gear Member

sounds lyke your slave cylinder is bad mine was doing the same thing it is on the driverside of the trans mission and looks lyke a starter or somthing it is black and has one line going it if it is not that then try a new clutch that is what im looking at right now so try the slave cylinder first then go from there and reblead the mastercylinder

Old 08-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Ninja Administrator

im going to replace the whole mess. since im dropping the tranny to get in there anyways im doing a new master, slave, clutch, and flywheel. when its acting up and engaging early i think its holding the clutch a little ways away from the wheel, you can smell it burning bigtime

Old 08-19-2008, 09:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Spectre you are having the same problem I had late last year. I thought it was a shift fork in my transmission but it wasn't. It was my whole clutch assembly. First my slave cylinder went out which caused early or late clutch engagement. Then all that caused my pressure plate to burn up which jacked up everything else. TRUST ME since you are already there I would replace that whole "kitten kaboodle" I mean the slave cylinder is like $60 and if you are having a shop do it the labor will be the same cost anyways. So even if it isn't bad I would replace it for a lil insurance for a problem later. I got a OEM clutch and all the goodies plus a slave cylinder installed for a little over $900 so I hope this helps you.

Quick Reply: clutch cylinder problem?