Clutch Chatter!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 10:28 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Clutch Chatter!!

Title pretty much says it...but here is some background.

1996 Camaro RS, 3800, 5-speed, 150k miles.

I've had the clutch replaced 3 times and the transmission completely rebuilt once. The chatter has been chronic BUT the last time the clutch was replaced, the problem was solved - for six months. They said the flywheel was the culprit and either was the incorrect thickness or of poor quality. So they installed a new flywheel and AC Delco clutch kit, and smooth as glass. However, 6 months later, the chatter has returned.

One thing to note is that the clutch action is fine in the morning when the clutch is cold, but rapidly becomes worse as the clutch heats up. Is there something about these clutches (or flywheels) that make them prone to this? I have the following concerns:

1. The shop used a cheap, crappy flywheel (they did say it was from Autozone...hmmm) that has warped
2. Oil or grease has made its way onto the flywheel or clutch (maybe through the access slot at the bottom of the flywheel?) Rear main seal has been replaced, though.
3. Some other issue? The motor and tranny mounts, if that matters, are all new.

Any help is appreciated. I've already blown about $4k just on the transmission and its still a piece of ****. I plan on servicing the clutch myself this time around.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I can not tell you why your is having the problems but I was told the stock replacement clutchs where not very good. I have even heard of a few of the the aftermarket stag two clutchs are junk. I had read many stories of clutchs not lasting 6 months. The only stories I read that had happy endings where guys that upgraded. That is why I went with a Center Force duel friction unit.

Back in my old GM days GMs policy was if there was an oil.coolant leak they would pay for a clutch assmembly if there was no oil/coolant leak and the pressure plate did not fail (broken springs) the the clutch was not covered under warranty. I have put clutchs in cars with less then 10K on them. It was the same thing on brakes.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Masospaghetti
I've had the clutch replaced 3 times and the transmission completely rebuilt once. The chatter has been chronic BUT the last time the clutch was replaced, the problem was solved - for six months. They said the flywheel was the culprit and either was the incorrect thickness or of poor quality. So they installed a new flywheel and AC Delco clutch kit, and smooth as glass. However, 6 months later, the chatter has returned.
So, what was wrong with the other flywheel, was it warped or checked?
Do you slip your clutch, or like to do hole-shots? If you are hard on the clutch and it doesn't grab well, you can overheat it and cause the flywheel and/or pressure plate to warp or check. Both of those will make it chatter.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
So, what was wrong with the other flywheel, was it warped or checked?
Do you slip your clutch, or like to do hole-shots? If you are hard on the clutch and it doesn't grab well, you can overheat it and cause the flywheel and/or pressure plate to warp or check. Both of those will make it chatter.
I think they said it had warped and was too thin of a flywheel.

I did a little research and found that the flywheel I currently have installed is probably a "reman" from Autozone. I read somewhere, may have been the factory manual, that said never to resurface the flywheels for these vehicles. Can anyone confirm this?

I also noticed the AC Delco clutch packs are made in China..hmmm

I don't drive this car very hard and I am not especially hard on the clutch.

Thanks for the info thus far...where is a good vendor to get a Centerforce clutch pack and flywheel?