Cherrybomb or flowmaster.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 03:11 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Massey
Those are OEM design restoration parts for those years of car. The hangers for your car are not available since they are simply a metal bar bent to fit and pushed through a rubber bracket.

Massey
Well thanks I thought I was about to have to pay that much for hangers but atleast I wont be paying that much. As far as the muffler I think I am going to buy a new oem one for the year 93-97 since those were made the same and my car Is a 94. Then I will have the shop make new tail pipes. Should there be anything I should tell the shop about the tail pipes like specific Information like sizes of pipe If they should be angled etc.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:15 PM
2nd Gear member

I found this video of a 3.8 with cool z28 muffler Idk If It will make a difference In sound with his being a 3.8 mine being a 3.4 but It sounds nice other then Idk what was happeing to his car at 0:35 '99 3.8L Camaro with Z28 exhaust - YouTube .

Old 08-26-2011, 04:35 PM
2nd Gear member

When you have the muffler, just take it to the shop and ask them to install it. Take a picture of the rear of a Z28 with you and you can show them how you want the outlets to exit the rear of the car.

As far as pipe sizes, they will use whatever they need to connect you current exhaust to the Z28 muffler.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:22 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Grandpaswagon
When you have the muffler, just take it to the shop and ask them to install it. Take a picture of the rear of a Z28 with you and you can show them how you want the outlets to exit the rear of the car.

As far as pipe sizes, they will use whatever they need to connect you current exhaust to the Z28 muffler.
Alright thanks I will do that but If you take a look at the video above of a 3.8 It sounds pretty nice with a z28 muffler but Im sure those tips on the tail pipes that are like a square have something to do with the way It sounds but Im not sure of what those are called. But thats the example I found now I Just have to figure out If I should get normal tailpipes or the tailpipes with those square things on the end.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:30 PM
2nd Gear member

The wierd thing Is I cant find a stock oem 1994 muffler on the Internet different mufflers come up.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:32 PM
2nd Gear member

The only place I could find one was rickscamaros and they want 199 new for one. Im not paying that. Anyone know where I could get one used In a good condition. For not 199.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:11 AM
2nd Gear member

You probably won't find an actual Chevy OEM muffler for your car. They just are not made anymore and if someone has one, they would be big bucks. The reason is that they are most likely NOS (New-Old-Stock) and would be the parts that you would need for a perfect restoration. You don't want or need that.

If you are looking for used, try: eBay, craigslist, or you local pick-n-pull. But, we have already mentioned that a used one may look nice on the outside and be rotten in the middle. Your choice, just beware what you may get.

You can also call a local muffler shop and see what they have in stock. They won't have an OEM muffler, but they will have a "form, fit, function" direct replacement (or be able to get one).

BTW - Rockauto has four different replacement mufflers listed for '94 Z28. Prices range between $27-67. They would all have similar sounds. You can also get the hangars there for about $8.

Last edited by Grandpaswagon; 08-27-2011 at 12:17 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:15 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 94ChevyCamaroV6
Im sure those tips on the tail pipes that are like a square have something to do with the way It sounds but Im not sure of what those are called.
They would have minimal impact on how the exhaust sounds. They are only there for looks. You can go round or square. I would go with square because everything else on the rear of the car is smooth and rounded. Square tips look better IMO. Simple round tips look too red-neck to me.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:53 PM

I used a glasspack, my advice is to go out and buy a replacement z28 muffler or a used one, take it to a shop and have them do the rest.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:44 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Grandpaswagon
You probably won't find an actual Chevy OEM muffler for your car. They just are not made anymore and if someone has one, they would be big bucks. The reason is that they are most likely NOS (New-Old-Stock) and would be the parts that you would need for a perfect restoration. You don't want or need that.

If you are looking for used, try: eBay, craigslist, or you local pick-n-pull. But, we have already mentioned that a used one may look nice on the outside and be rotten in the middle. Your choice, just beware what you may get.

You can also call a local muffler shop and see what they have in stock. They won't have an OEM muffler, but they will have a "form, fit, function" direct replacement (or be able to get one).

BTW - Rockauto has four different replacement mufflers listed for '94 Z28. Prices range between $27-67. They would all have similar sounds. You can also get the hangars there for about $8.
Alright thanks for your Information I looked on there website and I am looking at the four mufflers but not sure which one to order because Idk the difference between the sound fx.msl. quiet flow. or the super turbo muffler. I dont want to be cheap on this Job Im doing for my car and one thing that I dont want Is to buy the wrong part then have It Installed for all said In finished for like 200 bucks then take the car home and find out I dont like the sound then have to start all over which would cost alot of money. One thing that I am really trying to get out of this would be that I want this car to not sound raspy as much as I can which Is why people said Instead of flowmaster etc that z28 muffler would be the best. But yeah like I said Idk the difference between them and I really wanna get the right things because I dont want my car to sound that raspy. Or even If I bought the wrong one etc. But my other question Is what were you talking about I wont find a oem one but I can use a direct replacement muffler whats the difference between them two. Then would you think Its better to find one used that will be the real z28 muffler or buy one off this site.

Quick Reply: Cherrybomb or flowmaster.