Cherrybomb or flowmaster.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 09:17 PM
Overdrive Member

All you need is the Z28 muff and the shop can bend you a new set of tail pipes. The Z28 muff on your car will not be as raspy as the exhaust from Sofie but sound very similar.

Massey

Old 08-24-2011, 12:33 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 94ChevyCamaroV6
Well It wont have to sound like a true straight up muscle car. I Just want a nice sound to It. Like a loud muscle type. If that make sense.
I dont blame you dawg if i didn't have a Z28 I would be trying to get the sound also theres nothing more disappointing then a muscle car that lacks muscle

Old 08-24-2011, 11:41 PM

I have a flowtech glasspack on a 3.8L, it actually sounds really good, and I have a great let off/gurgle and the car sounds similar to an LT1 at start up. On the 3.4L I probably wouldn't do the glasspack tho, it seems the smaller the motor the worse a glasspack tends to sound, and the 3.8L can just barely pull it off under a lot of acceleration. Plus if you do it right, you can probably get a z28 muffler for next to nothing.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:41 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by dugganzx3
I have a flowtech glasspack on a 3.8L, it actually sounds really good, and I have a great let off/gurgle and the car sounds similar to an LT1 at start up. On the 3.4L I probably wouldn't do the glasspack tho, it seems the smaller the motor the worse a glasspack tends to sound, and the 3.8L can just barely pull it off under a lot of acceleration. Plus if you do it right, you can probably get a z28 muffler for next to nothing.
Well I am thinking I am Just going to get a z28 muffler then take these users advice that It wont be raspy like flowmaster. I think above they suggested that the one I need will be between 93-97 or something but I will check that for sure. I tried to find a car salvage thing In my area under yellow pages but couldnt find anything. Basically I am deciding to upgrade the exhaust because the muffler Is rusted out with a crack In It and the whole exhaust system Is startng to rust but I cant afford a new one at roughly 500-1000 which makes me think about Just replacing the muffler with a z28 and get a shop to make new tail pipes. One thing I was wondering Is Is the z28 muffler dual pipe because on my car It only has one pipe so I was thinking that might not work or be to much work for the shop to convert my car to a dual pipe but Idk.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:01 PM
2nd Gear member

Okay, you need to understand that the Z28 muffler has dual outlets and a single inlet pipe. The Z28 is not a true dual pipe exhaust. A true dual exhaust has a pipe from each side of the engine, two mufflers (independent of each other), and possibly an "H" or "X" cross-over pipe.

I would just go with a new muffler, as a used one could be completely rusted inside. Even if it looks good on the outside, it could crap out on you in a few weeks.

To add a Z28 muffler to your car, you need the muffler, the hangars, and the outlet pipes (what you see from the rear of the car). If you go to a local muffler shop and talk to the guys there, and tell them what you want to do, they will be able to hook you up in no time. They can bend up the necessary input pipe to connect to your stock exhaust and fab up a couple of outlets also.

There shouldn't be a problem with installing the muffler as it is behind the catalytic converter so there are no mods to the emissions equipment.

Last edited by Grandpaswagon; 08-25-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:10 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Grandpaswagon
Okay, you need to understand that the Z28 muffler has dual outlets and a single inlet pipe. The Z28 is not a true dual pipe exhaust. A true dual exhaust has a pipe from each side of the engine, two mufflers (independent of each other), and possibly an "H" or "X" cross-over pipe.

I would just go with a new muffler, as a used one could be completely rusted inside. Even if it looks good on the outside, it could crap out on you in a few weeks.

To add a Z28 muffler to your car, you need the muffler, the hangars, and the outlet pipes (what you see from the rear of the car). If you go to a local muffler shop and talk to the guys there, and tell them what you want to do, they will be able to hook you up in no time. They can bend up the necessary input pipe to connect to your stock exhaust and fab up a couple of outlets also.

There shouldn't be a problem with installing the muffler as it is behind the catalytic converter so there are no mods to the emissions equipment.
Well I didnt say the z28 was true duals but I was wondering. What I am trying to do Is put a z28 muffler on my 1994 Chevy Camaro V6 3.4L Car. I am not wanting to put on a flowmaster etc because they are raspy. When I asked this question here people suggested that the 93-97 z28 muffler will sound best on my car. I was thinking about simply buying this muffler then bring It to the shop along with my car then telling them to hook this up because Im sure they can make new tail pipes and hook up the hangers etc. But you seemed like you were saying that this wasnt possible.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:33 PM

Just as a rough estimate, as long as you have the z28 muffler, you shouldn't be paying more than 70 dollars for the work at a locol exhaust shop(try to avoid chains like cole muffler or places like that). Mine costed 70 dollars total, 20 for the muffler, 10 for a 2.25 to 2.5 inch adapter(I ordered .25 inch to big inlet/outlet muffler) and 40 for the tailpipe/labor. Although I would agree a newer muffler is a better idea, if you get a used one, it will more than likely have the tailpipes still intact, so just cut the muffler somewhere before the inlet pipe and you'll be set and grab the hangars to if you can.(although a shop can get/fab some for you)

Old 08-25-2011, 09:38 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by dugganzx3
Just as a rough estimate, as long as you have the z28 muffler, you shouldn't be paying more than 70 dollars for the work at a locol exhaust shop(try to avoid chains like cole muffler or places like that). Mine costed 70 dollars total, 20 for the muffler, 10 for a 2.25 to 2.5 inch adapter(I ordered .25 inch to big inlet/outlet muffler) and 40 for the tailpipe/labor. Although I would agree a newer muffler is a better idea, if you get a used one, it will more than likely have the tailpipes still intact, so just cut the muffler somewhere before the inlet pipe and you'll be set and grab the hangars to if you can.(although a shop can get/fab some for you)
Well around here I dont think I can find a place that would have one used so lets say I will Just buy this muffler new oem would that work. Then would I still need the oem tail pipes. Or would I have the shop make them. Then are you saying that you did a z28 muffler on a v6 or did you use a different muffler. Thanks.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:43 PM
2nd Gear member

Uh I looked In a camaro parts magazine I found that hangers for the 70-74 camaros are a hundred dollars they didnt have any for the 94 but still wtf why would a little piece of metal cost me a hundred dollars.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:10 AM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by 94ChevyCamaroV6
Uh I looked In a camaro parts magazine I found that hangers for the 70-74 camaros are a hundred dollars they didnt have any for the 94 but still wtf why would a little piece of metal cost me a hundred dollars.

Those are OEM design restoration parts for those years of car. The hangers for your car are not available since they are simply a metal bar bent to fit and pushed through a rubber bracket.

Massey

Quick Reply: Cherrybomb or flowmaster.