car is sputtering on acceleration.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 09:13 PM
1st Gear Member

ok so i changed the fuel filter and added some fuel cleaner. ( i cant remember exactly what it was my dad put it in) anyway seemed to kinda clear it up. i have now figured out that it doesn't seem to do it until over 4k on hard accel. i have some royal purple fuel cleaner but i need to wait til my tank is pretty much empty to put it in then fill it up. which i cant do for 2 weeks when i get back to work. anyone else have any ideas. Kinda a side note it had 93 octane in it over the winter and i drove it one day then the next day it started acting up. the day after that it was done to almost empty. i put about half a tank of 87 octane in it. thats when it seemed to get worse. therefore im thinking its fuel related.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:37 PM
1st Gear Member

No one has any ideas? this issue is getting really irritating. it has caused my car to die a couple time now. if it dies i let it sit for 5 mins it wil start again . runs rough but runs. it died and i let it sit for about 10-15 mins and it seemed like it ran fine after.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:48 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check fuel pressure when it won't run

Old 04-28-2014, 06:34 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by mp734
No one has any ideas? this issue is getting really irritating. it has caused my car to die a couple time now. if it dies i let it sit for 5 mins it wil start again . runs rough but runs. it died and i let it sit for about 10-15 mins and it seemed like it ran fine after.
Originally Posted by Gorn
Unlikely, more likely something dried out like a plug wire.
Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Sounds a lot like what my Vette was doing last year. Fuel pump might be crapping out once it gets hot. Check your fuel pressure.
Well the two main possibilities have been covered. Did you want people to keep reposting them? This issue is most likely a secondary ignition system problem or a fuel delivery issue. At least odds wise that is the more common issue. BUT it could be any one of a couple of dozen things. The mechanics that work on this type of issue are the highest paid. If there was a chart that said if “this” then “that” they would not be the highest paid.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Well i didnt think it could be the fuel pump getting hot because i let the car sit for 3-4 hours then as soon as i started it tried to accelerate pretty fast and it did it. The other time was right after i added gas and the rest were random at no certain temp. On most occasions once it starts spudering it ends up stopping. It doesnt do it if i dont bring rpms up high.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:40 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Failing fuel pumps can be very unpredictable. It is also easy to check, Like I said it could also be an ignition issue but unless you have a $3000 automotive scope tucked away somewhere it is going to be a lot harder to test.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:44 PM
1st Gear Member

well its just died out on me again and i forgot to grab the fuel pressure gauge and once i towed it home it started right up. i can hear my fuel pump going on. do you think it could be opti?

Old 04-30-2014, 03:15 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ok this could be the opti, could also be the ignition coil/control module, could also be fuel pump. being the easiest and cheapest i would pick up a new ignition module. i used to carry an extra one with me in the car. have a ltcc coil per cylinder setup now so no ignition module. how old is the opti. usually get 60 to 80k miles out of them.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:11 PM
Default hey

I have 98 Camaro v6 found out my crank sensor is bad plus coil packs plugs and wires and icm need to be changed so I recommend changing these things since my car will drive bout 15 mins to 20 mins then shut off fule pressure is good relay good tested so when it dies we sit for up to 20 mins then it restarts
ebay has a deal for coil packs and icm for like 50 to 60 bucks then shipping would be like 10 bucks its worth it
then Rockauto has crank sensor and wires and plugs cheap I bought everything for like 140 to 150 bucks total

Old 04-30-2014, 06:41 PM
1st Gear Member

I had a 99 v6 and the crank sensor came unplugged. I thought this might be a bad crabk sensor but fom what i read the 94 does not have one. Im not ure how many miles are on the opti. I have only had the car about 8 months and only put 1k on it. The car has 138k but i cant remeber if the p.o. said he replaced it or not. I thought he did but im not for sure.

Quick Reply: car is sputtering on acceleration.