Car is freaking out

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 10:50 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Car is freaking out

alright so i recently moved to florida for school, and as it turns out Florida gets hammered by rain (no duh) anyways, i was driving and out of nowhere it just started down pouring. I was driving about 30mph when my car started acting funny (it is an SS with functional hood scoop) so i think i may have sucked up some water because it began to misfire. Once this started happening my air conditioning stopped working (the clutch kicks in and stays moving on the compresser) and my abs started freaking out. So now (3 days later) when i drive my abs goes crazy and my pedal feels horrible (even if i turn off traction control) and my air conditioning still doesnt work. Any ideas on the cause/solution of these? thanks!!

Old 09-13-2010, 11:30 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

im thinking you have some other sort of problem im sure the hood is designed to accept some water do you have any codes

Old 09-13-2010, 11:55 AM
3rd Gear Member

The SS hood isn't going to suck in any water, look where it is and the intake. For enough water to make it into the scoop, into the air box and past the air filter, you would have to drive into a lake. I agree with Basic, something else is going on. get it scanned for codes.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:57 PM
Overdrive Member

Remove the 2 large plugs from your ECM and see if they got any moisture in them. It sounds to me like your ECM got wet and since it is located in a place where water can get in this does not seem unlikely. There should be silicone rubber gaskets around the plugs if there isnt then there is your problem. If you can remove the covers to the ECM and soak it in 90% or better denatured alcohol for a few hours then let air dry (shake it off first) Once the PC board is dried off from the alcohol bath check for any residue or corrosion and clean with a nylon brush like a tooth brush, more alcohol can be used to assist in the cleaning just make sure it is all dried off before reassembling the unit.

Remember do this only if you feel confident you can work with electronics and if the ECM has gotten wet.

Massey