Car battery Green.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 02:05 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Car battery Green.

HELLO.
the batter eye ( the indicator ) is green but today I had to jump it!
should I replace the whole battery ? and what is the AMP's the new battery should be? thx :-)

Old 11-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

are there any shops around you that can test the battery/alternator? with the car running the battery should read about 14.5V but that wont tell you weather the battery is ok. how old is the battery? the amps very depending on battery what you wanna look at is the cold cranking amps or CCA.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Those indicators or crap, take it to autozone, they test them for free(think Advanced, and NAPA also do it).

Old 11-06-2012, 05:59 PM
2nd Gear member

Here the shops advice is always to buy new one so they can sell. next February the battery age would be 3 years its 101 AMP I am planing to put 80 AMp is ok or 75 AMp. I will test it tomorrow using Voltmeter. thx :-)

Old 11-06-2012, 06:15 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Originally Posted by wayne242
Those indicators or crap, take it to autozone, they test them for free(think Advanced, and NAPA also do it).
he lives in syria theres no autozone there lol

Originally Posted by androzer
Here the shops advice is always to buy new one so they can sell. next February the battery age would be 3 years its 101 AMP I am planing to put 80 AMp is ok or 75 AMp. I will test it tomorrow using Voltmeter. thx :-)
3 years is about half life for a battery. and 101 amp is wrong it should be like 650 or so. you can let the car run for a while, check the voltage (again should be about 14.5V) and then turn it off and check again (should be about 12V) than after a half hour or so check it again. if its lower the batterys probably shot (anything under 9V and it needs replacing)

Old 11-07-2012, 05:43 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Try this have someone help you, get a dc volt meter check the battery when you start the car see how far the volts dip. If its below 10 volts its your battery. Also check the battery connection make sure theres no corrosion on the terminals sometimes the connections wont look like its corroded and they are, also too look at your negative battery connection to the body or engine make sure there tight and clean.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:07 AM
2nd Gear member

I tested it today :-) after more than 12 hours of parking the Voltmeter said 12.6 on the battery. started the car to test the alternator and the battery gave 14.5.
could it be random faulty battery or bad terminals need to be cleaned?

Old 11-07-2012, 07:43 AM
2nd Gear member

Frank's post ^ has some good things to check.

Some other info:

1. The battery eye is a simple hydrometer and very useful in determining whether the battery is fully charged at a glance, BUT...

2. The eye only measures electrolyte (acid) specific gravity in 1 of the battery's 6 cells, SO...

3. If the battery has a bad cell from excessive vibration (missing hold down strap/clamp) or physical damage (side puncture, corner damage from dropping), overcharging, etc. the eye won't show it.

4. Batteries are rated by cold cranking amps (CCA), cranking amps (CA), and reserve capacity. The first two are almost always printed on the battery label. The third, not so much anymore. You're gonna need a battery with CCA rating of at least 400.

5. You can test battery voltage with the engine off and it should be 12.6 volts. It doesn't tell you a whole lot, though.

6. The real test of a battery is the load test. You use a tester with cables and clamps to apply a large load to the battery while the built-in meter shows battery voltage. After 15 seconds of a heavy load (simulated engine cranking) the voltage should still be at least 10.5 volts.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:15 PM
2nd Gear member

Thank you that was really informative. I done the voltmeter this morning the battery was giving 12.6. I will wait 2 days and see if the car not cranking and test the Volt of the battery if it was 12.5 could it be the reason of Corroded Battery terminals?

Old 11-08-2012, 09:11 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Your alternator is charging fine so just go for a ride to recharge your battery or plug it to a charger to recharge it properly. Your battery should last 6 to 8 years.
One of my cars has a 10 year old battery and I use that car during winter and don't even have a block heater on the car. Winters here go down to -30c.

If that green dot is completly green the battery is good. If it has black on the outer edge of the green dot just recharge it slowly.

If you buy a new battery, don't buy a GM one with that green dot crap.

The corrosion on your connectors is caused by acid from the battery. Must get pretty hot where you live. Get some
baking soda and water. Mix about 2 table spoons of backing soda in about 2 cups of water. (500ml) pour a bit at a time
on your connectors and the top of the battery. This should remove the green corrosion from the wires. When the wires are
clean put some dielectric grease on them to prevent the corrosion from coming back. You could put some vasoline on them to if
you don't have dielectric grease.

Last edited by impala765; 11-08-2012 at 09:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Car battery Green.