Can't find a replacement exhaust y-pipe...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 05:57 PM
Unhappy Can't find a replacement exhaust y-pipe...

My 98 v6 base has been rattling for a while. Was under it today to find what is causing it and found it - its in the exhaust y-pipe. There must be rust or something inside of it because it is rattling in area where it crosses from the drivers side to where it converges with the passengers side (basically right where it passes the oil pan). The exhaust itself is solid and is not touching anything. When I tap/hit on that spot/area when running, the rattle changes - it is positively coming from inside the pipe.

With that being said, I can't seem to find a replacement y-pipe anywhere... I just need the pipe that bolts to the manifolds in the front and ends just before the cat. I'm not looking to change manifolds, add performance exhaust, etc - its just a v6... I just need a replacement y-pipe and can't find one anywhere... Anyone have any ideas where to look?

Old 09-26-2014, 08:07 PM
4th Gear Member

According to Walker, the part number is 50509. It will run you about $420. Magnaflow number is 448466 and runs $600. The reason for the prices is the only way you can get it is to replace the y-pipe and converter as an assembly.

Are you absolutely sure it's the y-pipe? I know my exhaust used to hit right where it goes over the axle and would rattle bad and sounded like it was further up. Other option is to remove old y-pipe and blow air through it and bang the ends off the ground to get whatever may be in there out.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:58 PM

Thank You Your post is both good and bad news... But the only bad news is that I can't just get the y-pipe. However, all the rest of your info is awesome. Thank You for that part number! Summit racing has that one piece component for $279.99 with a $50.00 mail-in rebate, so 229.99 with free shipping; then there is some value in the old converter... (of course I just had that replaced last summer...). So all-in-all should end up costing less than $200, which is the price I was hoping the y-pipe would be under - so it all works out!

Now just to find where to have it installed... I live in a very small town and I don't have any welding equipment... But that's a problem for another day.

Thank You again for your help!

Old 09-27-2014, 07:16 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Just a FYI, I have never seen a Y pipe on a modern car rattle. On the other hand I have seen 3 cars in a single day with bad catalytic converter rattle like crazy. There is nothing in the Ypipe to rattle. It is just a pipe. If it was rusted that bad you just get a holes. Most Y-pipe that do get replace are because of the car bottoming out or when they go to replace the cat they find out there is nothing to weld too due to rust. Hit your cat with the side of you fist. I'll bet the rattle will really not like it.

Old 09-27-2014, 12:22 PM

Well there is an exception to every rule. As stated at the very beginning. I WAS under the car I DID bang around and the rattle IS coming from inside the Y-pipe right in front of the oil pan (and i slid a piece of cardboard between the pipe and oil pan area to make sure that wasn't the source of the rattling - just in case). My hand was ON the pipe (before it got too hot of course) - I could FEEL the rattle inside the pipe. As also stated in my previous post, I just put a brand new cat in last summer. The rattle is no where near the cat. Regardless, the whole piece is being replaced.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:53 PM
2nd Gear member

You could have gotten headers with a y pipe for almost the same price.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:26 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Spelljunkie
Well there is an exception to every rule. As stated at the very beginning. I WAS under the car I DID bang around and the rattle IS coming from inside the Y-pipe right in front of the oil pan (and i slid a piece of cardboard between the pipe and oil pan area to make sure that wasn't the source of the rattling - just in case). My hand was ON the pipe (before it got too hot of course) - I could FEEL the rattle inside the pipe. As also stated in my previous post, I just put a brand new cat in last summer. The rattle is no where near the cat. Regardless, the whole piece is being replaced.
I would just remove it and empty it out if it is not leaking. Could be part of the old cat or an o2 sensor end but it can not be part of the Y pipe. It is just a pipe. It is not double walled or anything. There may be something in there but it did not come from the Y pipe.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:18 PM

Yeah, I really don't understand it either, but it is what it is... Something in there is vibrating. I'm actually happy to just replace the whole thing and be done with it. It has been making that rattle for a couple years actually. Used to be just a little once in a while, now it is just too annoying to ignore. I had a car many years ago that had a cracked flywheel and the sound is very similar and is coming from almost the same place, so I figured that's probably what it was and I was just buying time til it gave out since the flywheel is so hard to get to for the setup I have. But yesterday I decided to get under it while it was running (I just don't like to do that) and sure enough I was surprised at where its coming from. So I don't really care why its rattling in there, I will just replace the whole thing and be happy I'm not paying to pull the engine to replace the flywheel The muffler is totally rusted out, too. Anyone have any suggestions on what sounds good? It's just a V6 so really don't expect there's much, but am looking for a little sound for a reasonable price.

Someone mentioned headers, but I have decided against those as its just a V6 base model. I have never heard a V6 with headers so am skeptical as to whether it is worth it or not...

Old 09-28-2014, 07:11 AM
2nd Gear member

Flow master sounds really nice under 3000 rpm.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:36 AM
2nd Gear member

Headers sound awesome with borla, cammed is even better.

Quick Reply: Can't find a replacement exhaust y-pipe...