CamShaft Position Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 11:01 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default CamShaft Position Sensor

I have a Service Engine Soon light on my 96 3.8 v6 Camaro. I have had the code read and it is P0341 Camshaft position sensor. I replaced the sensor and have cleared the code, but the Service Engine Soon still comes on. Occasionally it will go out, but then comes back on.

Any ideas?

Could the Crank position sensor be throwing a code for the CamShaft sensor?

Wiring?

Odds of the replacement Camshaft sensor being bad?

Old 06-30-2009, 11:15 AM
Tech Droid

What is the new code??

Old 06-30-2009, 12:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by z28pete
What is the new code??

Same code P0341 Camshaft Position Sensor

Old 06-30-2009, 07:22 PM
Tech Droid

This may be information overload, but it may help.The CMP is used to time the fuel injectors, when the DTC sets the CMP signal is missing and the FI system goes from sequential to batch fire. Lose a little power and economy, and gain a little smog. Otherwise the car will run fine.

From AllData:

DTC P0341
CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The camshaft position (CMP) sensor is a hall-effect type sensor. The sensor produces 1 signal for each revolution of the camshaft in order to control the sequential fuel injection. There are not any direct circuits to the powertrain control module (PCM). All of the circuits are between the CMP sensor and the ignition control module (ICM). These circuits are the CMP signal circuit, the 12-volt reference circuit, and the low reference circuit. The PCM compares the CMP sensor signal to the number of 3X, low-resolution, engine speed signals generated by the ICM. The normal ratio of 3X signals is 6-to-1. If the PCM receives an incorrect number of CMP sensor signals, this DTC sets.

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC
The engine is running and the 3X reference pulses are being received.

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC
The PCM does not receive CMP sensor reference pulses during one rotation of the camshaft.

ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS

•The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) when the diagnostic runs and fails.
•The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The control module stores this information in the Freeze Frame/Failure Records.

CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE MIL/DTC

•The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
•A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.
•A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.
•Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS
Inspect for the following conditions:

•Any secondary ignition wires arcing to a wiring harness-Inspect the secondary ignition wires for carbon tracking or for other signs of damage.
•A faulty ignition coil-Remove the ignition coils and inspect the ignition control module and the coils for cracks, for carbon tracking, or for other signs that indicate that the coil secondary circuit is arcing to the ICM or to the ICM wiring harness. Refer to Ignition Coil(s) Replacement.
If the condition is suspected of being intermittent, refer to Intermittent Conditions. See: Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures\Intermittent Conditions

TEST DESCRIPTION

Attached Thumbnails CamShaft Position Sensor-cam-sensor.gif   CamShaft Position Sensor-cam-sensor-2.jpg   CamShaft Position Sensor-cam-sensor-3.jpg   CamShaft Position Sensor-cam-sesnsor-4.jpg   CamShaft Position Sensor-cam-pos-sensor-wiring.jpg  

Last edited by z28pete; 06-30-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Unfortunately I can't make out the attached pics. Pete I sent a PM to see if you could email the pics.

Thanks,

Old 07-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Tech Droid

I tried to send a PDF copy, which is clearer, but the E mail adress on your PM failed. PM me the E-mail adress again & will give it onother try.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:38 PM
In the Staging Lanes

What document did the attached pics come from? Maybe I can find the article for a clearer pic.

Also where is the Ignition Control Module located on the 3.8l? Just realized it is under the ignition coils. Now to verify the pin out to the Camshaft position sensor.

Last edited by CastleRockCamaro; 07-08-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:19 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Update

Well, after reviewing the troubleshooting list(Thanks Pete), I believe I may have found the area the was causing the code to be thrown. Ultimately upon removing the Ignition coils and rearranging the coils the Service Engine Soon light stopped appearring. It appears that there may have been some arching that was interferring with the Camshaft Position sensor wiring(which runs through the area).

I'll just will have to keep in mind that there may be an ignition coil that may be going bad, but for the last 5 days no codes and the camaro is running great...

Thanks again z28Pete,

Old 02-28-2012, 11:42 AM

hi I'm new on here

Old 02-28-2012, 11:43 AM

sorry I have to do this but I want to see the pictures of the camshaft sensor and I don't think I can because I haven't posted anything yet and I don't even now if this will count towards it

Quick Reply: CamShaft Position Sensor