Camaro sitting in Garage for 3 years, should I Buy??

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 02:35 PM

I'm in Houston, My friend has a shop where he buys salvaged cars an repairs them. I'm gonna ask him I i can keep it there while i work on it. Probably offer him 200. Any other ideas?

Oh he said the transmission was rebuilt. Not brand new.
I wouldn't sell it without getting it to start. There would be no profit. Its just a matter of getting it to start.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:42 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro326
I'm now just planning on selling it and using that money to look for something more reliable. He said just take it and sell it

then pay him later....

suggestions on what to do next? I need a place to fix it up myself and not have to pay to get it fixed
I took a few words and isolated them. Those words bother me. What is the negotiated price that you agreed to pay him? What does your purchase and sale state and in whose name is the title?

I would not drop one dime into the vehicle until I had a bonafide contract in writing. I suggest asking mom or dad to help you with that before you get into something that may upset you or cause the loss of a "friendship"

Old 01-14-2011, 03:52 PM

Lol I assure you I am quite capable of doing all of this without my mom or dads help. I am not asking for it in writing because he is a good friend and doesn't need to prove anything to me.

He told me to offer him anything. I said 1500. The title is obviously under his name at the moment. He is the original owner after buying it new.

And this would be my 2nd car. My first is a 06 G35

Old 01-14-2011, 03:55 PM

I also inspected the body. Its in very good condition cosmetically. No paint chips or anything of that sort. It also has a lip kit. Idk which one however

Old 01-14-2011, 08:46 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro326
Lol I assure you I am quite capable of doing all of this without my mom or dads help. I am not asking for it in writing because he is a good friend and doesn't need to prove anything to me.

He told me to offer him anything. I said 1500. The title is obviously under his name at the moment. He is the original owner after buying it new.

And this would be my 2nd car. My first is a 06 G35
and what if it ends up costing a wee bit to get it running, do you still pay him $1500?

please be careful. I have seen too many buddies have a falling out over misunderstandings around money and business deals. It's best to really have something in writing. What that does is makes you both say the words exactly how you mean.

If a contract needs to be reviewed because of a dispute then that means the relationship has broken down and then, more than ever, is when you'll be glad you have the contract.

Dang, i thought this was a technical forum ;-)

Old 01-15-2011, 02:17 AM
Overdrive Member

Simple solution here:

Buy the car from him, fix it up yourself and turn it. Or keep it your call either way you have the title and are free to do as you wish with the car.

Personally I love these cars and I cant think of another car on the road today I would rather drive.

Massey

Old 01-15-2011, 08:04 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
and what if it ends up costing a wee bit to get it running, do you still pay him $1500?

please be careful. I have seen too many buddies have a falling out over misunderstandings around money and business deals. It's best to really have something in writing. What that does is makes you both say the words exactly how you mean.

If a contract needs to be reviewed because of a dispute then that means the relationship has broken down and then, more than ever, is when you'll be glad you have the contract.

Dang, i thought this was a technical forum ;-)
I agree! Unless you have the title or bill of sale, you don't own the car, regardless of what was said or agreed on.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:16 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

As for the fuel, if you pull the tank as any repair manual will tell you it is a huge PITA. Most shop change about a grand for fuel pump replacement. If you search “Trap door” in the 4th gen section there is a process for cutting thru the floor and any DIY guy can do.
If you don’t mind a risk you could add 5 gallons of good clean gas along with some Seafoam or injection cleaner, let it sit overnight. I would install a new filter before I tried this and another new filter in 30 days.
As a general rule the fuel pumps do not like sitting. If you plan on keeping the car as a daily driver you should just go ahead and replace it. You will most likely be doing within the year anyway. You want to avoid the Airtex pumps they sell at Autozone, Pepboys and like they have a high failure rate

Old 01-15-2011, 08:56 AM
Overdrive Member

Funny thing is since O'reilly took over my store (It was Schucks) we changed from Carter fuel pumps to Airtex and our warranty rate went down ALOT! Now we also started to carry a store brand called Best test... Those are junk. Now I will tell you that Airtex are only ment for OEM and will not perform well with high performance applications.

Massey

Old 01-15-2011, 02:55 PM

I have been reading the DIY sticky on cutting through to the pump. Seems way simpler and less costly. I'll try all the advice and hints you guys suggest. The fuel pump will be a PITA but I'm hopping that's the only problem. So that DIY is fairly do able? I've only done some engine mods on my Infiniti. No cutting of any sort.

Quick Reply: Camaro sitting in Garage for 3 years, should I Buy??