Camaro sitting in Garage for 3 years, should I Buy??

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Default Camaro sitting in Garage for 3 years, should I Buy??

A friend of mine has a Camaro that has been sitting in his garage for the past 3 years, he was too busy to sell it and told me he is just trying to get rid if it.

Specs
2000, 118k miles, White T-top, v6.

I haven't actually seen it yet, but I'm wondering if I should even bother buying it or not. He said he rebuilt the engine and bought a new transmission then kept it as his weekend car afterwards. But after sitting for 3 years I'm thinking the following problems...

battery
motor oil
radiator/transmission flush
fuel pump
brake fluids/pads
tires rotated/aligned/balanced

I'm thinking about buying it and fixing it up, he said quote him any price.

what do you guys think? I'll post up pictures by the end of the week.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:29 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

does it run?

Old 01-11-2011, 11:09 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If the motor and trans where replaced/rebuilt within the year before it was parked you should be ok. I would not start the motor with the engine oil that is in it. The tranny fluid could be ok if it was freash 3 years ago.

If all the rebuilt stuff is BS then yes you will most likely have issues with oil leak and your coolant system will be sudged up.

No matter what the gas will be your biggest problem. If he did not used stablizer or run it out of gas you could have the fuel pump fry the second you turn the key on.

As for the brakes I would just do a stomp test. With the motor idleing push the brakes as hard as you can, I mean stand on them, if nothing blows out then its mostly just rust. A some point you will want to pull the back brakes and make sure there is no major rust or seal leakage but it should be safe to drive as long as none of the brakes stick.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:42 AM

alright so far on the agenda i need to do:

oil change
gas/fuel pump
battery

the stomp test i am pretty worried about, if something "blows" how much would it run me to get it fixed? is the fuel pump fairly simple enough for a DIY?

and no the car does not currently run

Old 01-12-2011, 10:04 AM
1st Gear Member

I would be leery of a non-runing rebuild...you could wind up rebuilding again...unless your buddy is a savvy mechanic...hard thing about buying a car that has been sitting is you have to drop a few bucks just to see if you even want it. Change the oil and charge the battery then take if from there.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:54 PM
3rd Gear Member

tell him if hes really your friend, to give it to you since hes not doing anything with it, and say when you get it running you`ll pick him up to hang out. cant go wrong with free

since hes just trying to get rid of it...

Old 01-12-2011, 10:48 PM
Overdrive Member

I would not pay alot of money for it but not knowing if it will run or how well it will run I would offer $500.

Massey

Old 01-14-2011, 02:57 AM

I'm now just planning on selling it and using that money to look for something more reliable. He said just take it and sell it then pay him later....

suggestions on what to do next? I need a place to fix it up myself and not have to pay to get it fixed

Old 01-14-2011, 06:25 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sounds like a fun project, you may like the car once you get to know it. any ideas for a elegible place in your area to work on it? where you at?

Old 01-14-2011, 07:26 AM
4th Gear Member

JMO, but you should get it running so potential buyers will be able to hear it run, test drive or they are only going to offer you $500 for it. So, his problem becomes yours!!

But like craby says, if you get it to running, you might like it!!

Quick Reply: Camaro sitting in Garage for 3 years, should I Buy??