Camaro performance chip question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 01:08 AM
2nd Gear member
Default Camaro performance chip question.

I have a 1994 Chevy Camaro V6 3.4L car. I am looking to buy a performance chip to Increase the power of my car. There are so many different kinds of chips and stages of chips to get that I am stuck on knowing which one I need or where I can get the best chip from a reliable online store. I dont have a ebay account so I am looking for a normal website. Has anyone had experience with these chips or know anything about them that I should know about like are they easy to Install etc. The thing I wanna know most about these chips Is can they ruin or harm the engine or any other part In any way. Uh If these chips will hurt the engine or do anything bad to any thing I wont want to get one because I dont want to mess anything on the car up or mess up the car computer etc. Um If you could find me a website or suggest a certain performance chip that would be great because I dont know much about them and I am trying to find out more Information on these chips for the camaro. Thanks.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:52 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

add on chips for your yr are a waist of money. get the computer tuned at a place like solomon. be worth it to give a call. LT1 PCM Tuning - OBDI/OBDII PCM Tuning/Programming Service

Old 08-29-2011, 02:13 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by craby
add on chips for your yr are a waist of money. get the computer tuned at a place like solomon. be worth it to give a call. LT1 PCM Tuning - OBDI/OBDII PCM Tuning/Programming Service
Why would they be a waste of money when they are cheap but yet more then likely will give out more hp then that tuner because his only gives out 26 on a lt1 well chips give out more.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:02 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

they claim to yah. what chip you talking about. most just keep the computer in limp mode so it runs rich.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:06 AM
2nd Gear member

+1

Listen to Craby. He knows a lot about these cars (both V6 and V8).

Most of the time, any performance chips are a complete waste of money. They make big claims on power or mpg boosts, but never even come close to delivering on those numbers. You might get an extra 2-5 HP, but they are doing it by tricking your computer. Tuners will actually adjust your computer setting to run more efficiently with your engine. Some tuners will do the work on a dyno and be able to demonstrate to you the power gains.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:33 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The "chips" are cons. The in most cases they do nothing and sometimes they will hurt the over all preformace. They just make the car run a little richer.In most cases the O2 sensor picks up on the change and put the fuel right back where it was. A tune is a lot better but with a stock motor you will see very little with a tune. Now if you do boltons (headers, CAI, a 160 deg thermostate) then get it tuned to take advantage of the new part you will have something you can feel. A word of warning the heads on the 3.4 are the limiting factor. You can make it run a little better but do not expect more then a 10% increase without a major project.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:45 PM
3rd Gear Member

Also what that chop does you can do yourself with $5 and a trip to radioshack.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:14 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 94ChevyCamaroV6
Why would they be a waste of money when they are cheap but yet more then likely will give out more hp then that tuner because his only gives out 26 on a lt1 well chips give out more.
I'll send you a few stickers that will give you 10+ hp each. Only $50 each. LMK how many you want.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:20 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Gorn
The "chips" are cons. The in most cases they do nothing and sometimes they will hurt the over all preformace. They just make the car run a little richer.In most cases the O2 sensor picks up on the change and put the fuel right back where it was. A tune is a lot better but with a stock motor you will see very little with a tune. Now if you do boltons (headers, CAI, a 160 deg thermostate) then get it tuned to take advantage of the new part you will have something you can feel. A word of warning the heads on the 3.4 are the limiting factor. You can make it run a little better but do not expect more then a 10% increase without a major project.
Your basically saying that even the tuner Is pointless unless I get a cai or a new muffler etc. I was thinking about maybe getting a slp cai but dont wanna spend the money. But I am getting a new muffler and tail pipe setup.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Guitar
I'll send you a few stickers that will give you 10+ hp each. Only $50 each. LMK how many you want.

lol sounds like something a honda owner would say

Quick Reply: Camaro performance chip question.