A/C overheating my 1994 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 05:29 PM
1st Gear Member
Default A/C overheating my 1994 camaro

ok this is my first post so be gently my camaro is a 1994 V6 3.4L, when i put on the A/C and leave it on for a well the car starts to over heat. now i notice something strange a well ago. the fan in front of the raditor is connected to a relay very near to the battery. now i know this is not norma, cause i looked in another camaro of the same year and model and its different, so question is this, where is the original connection for the fan because i believe that when i put the A/C on the fan is suppose to go a little faster. changing the subject i also seem to be loosing coolent but there is NO LEAK ANYWHERE!!!!! my theory is the raditor but im not sure, im putting coolent every 3 day depending no how far i use the car. will there go but dont worry i also want to make it go faster so if anybody has any pointers. later

Old 04-03-2006, 07:44 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: A/C overheating my 1994 camaro

The fan is supposed to go on at full speed whenever the AC is turned on. It seems that the previous owner put in a manually controlled fan, for whatever reason, and the relay is part of the manual circuit. I am just surmising because I am not able to see the car.

As for the missing coolant, if the car overheats it will blow coolant out of the relief hose while it is being driven making it hard to spot. Check the weep hole at the water pump shaft for traces of dried out coolant. Check all around the engine, radiator, hoses, and including freeze out plugs. A blown head gasket could also cuse overheating and internal coolant loss.

Before getting too excited, put in a can of stop leak directly into the radiator & see if it helps. It won't stop a water pump or blown gasket leak.

Old 04-03-2006, 08:07 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: A/C overheating my 1994 camaro

ok so far everything is dry and ive been rideing hard for a little while also yes i did put the stop leak in the raditor and so far it been really good, now im uploading pics of where the relay is connected to the fan, now when i turn on the a/c is the fan suppose to fo faster or have some change. here are the attachments

[IMG]local://upfiles/2761/CA6546BEBA57498F928F5C46E6FAEDB9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2761/ECFCABDAA06A41989B00E95A996F2B12.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-26-2012, 11:44 AM
1st Gear Member

After all these years and the car still overheats when the AC is turned on for a while. Unless its cold outside, raining, or moving at high speed it stays cool. Theres no leaks, no leak internally or heads, i replaced the motor fan once a few years ago, no vacuum leaks or freeze on leaks. Remember the fan is constantly on. should i replace the fan with a dual fan?

Old 07-26-2012, 12:47 PM
Tech Droid

Ever taken the radiator out and have it professionally cleaned?

Old 07-26-2012, 03:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Have you changed the thermostat? Usually once a car runs hot, it can cause the thermostat to start sticking. If that doesnt solve it, look into the electric fan option. I have one on mine that runs constantly anytime the key is on. Definitely keeps the LT1 cooler, should help the V6 too.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:35 PM
1st Gear Member

The radiator has been replaced twice, and the fan next to the radiator is constantly on from the moment the key is put in. The radiator is about a year and half old. There is no thermostat in the car, every time I put one on it would over heat the car.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Would it be ok to put an aftermarket fan?

Old 08-23-2012, 01:58 PM
3rd Gear Member

You have a new radiator and no thermostat, I dont think another fan will help. Have you checked the water pump?

Old 08-23-2012, 03:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Am I wrong in saying that without a thermostat, your coolant isnt spending enough time in the radiator getting cooled? If your system is just running an open loop, the hot coolant from your engine is running straight through the radiator and right back into the engine, without letting the radiator do its job. I know you said youve tried multiple thermostats, but have they all been the same? Possibly a lower temp one could help you out.

Quick Reply: A/C overheating my 1994 camaro