buying a camaro help

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 01:35 AM
Default buying a camaro help

Hi, im about to go look at a 1995 camaro coupe z28 6 speed tomorrow. I was wondering what are some of the things i should be looking out for in this year and model?? it also has 158000 original miles and he is asking for about 4300 but "kbb" and "nada" say less with the high mileage....

http://www.kbb.com/used-cars/chevrol...mileage=158000

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/1995/...-2D-Z28/Values

plz respond asap!!

Old 12-23-2010, 03:03 AM
3rd Gear Member

pass 4300 is too much for 185k

Old 12-23-2010, 03:50 AM
In the Staging Lanes

not worth that amount. there are plenty more around with lower miles and less money. but if you like the car and its clean and your willing to wrench on it and if you can get it for 2500.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:20 AM
3rd Gear Member

I wouldn't pay more than $3000 for a Camaro like that with 158,000 miles.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Way too much for that car unless it is 100%, ie; paint, interior, rebuilt engine with a warranty, etc. Personally, no way I would pay that for that car unless you KNOW all the history and it is, like I said, 100% and that is highly doubtful. Frankzlt1 and Buffalo are right, if it's in good to great, offer $2500, don't pay more than $3K, if it's no deal, shop around. Never get emotional when buying a car, a house or suing somebody. Only cost you.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:40 AM
4th Gear Member

Agree with PH on the emotional part. I bet there is someone else on the way to look at it the same time you are .................according to the seller! A tactic that often creates a little aniexty for you to get there first and drop the cash. Works well alot of times.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:39 AM

thanks for all of your input guys, i understand not to give him anything over 3000 but i also would like to know, other than the obvious, the common defects of the car that i should look for. For example, i used to have a honda prelude and one of the defects was most of the motors came with bad piston ringlands and the car would burn massive amounts of oil, you know things i should look out for like that!

Please help i am about to go over there in about and hour and a half lol.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:40 AM
3rd Gear Member

make sure the engine is cold and start it and with ur foot on the brake rev to 1000,1500,2000,2500,3000 bring a buddy to be in near the motor to hear any sounds

Old 12-23-2010, 12:35 PM
4th Gear Member

Look for oil leaks,see if Check engine light is on, power window motors work well, no leaks from T tops (if it has them), check coolant level in radiator, color of motor oil, check oil pressure at cold and when engine is at normal operating temp at idle and 1800 rpm. just seen the time on your post, guess this might be too late.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:20 PM

ok well i just went and looked at it and i must say i was very impressed.

i did make an amature mistake and i did not check the oil lol but im going back up next week to check it out again because the actual owner was not there and the actual owner has the dealer plate to drive around with (because he owns like 10 cars lol) so i only drove it up and down the road and plus i was in a rush because i have to go to work soon....

but other than that it started right up no problem at all, it sounds perfect and mean, it shifts perfect and the clutch feels new, it has brand new tires on it, no leaks coming from the bottom of the car, it was kept in a tent, only 1 or 2 very small dings on the outside that took me a while to notice. for the short drive i did take it for it was very nice and smooth and i did like it.

the bad: has a tear on the driver seat, theres a crack in the dashboard, looks like someone punched it or something. back seats are kinda dirty, the driver side window and power mirror dont work (maybe a fuse??)

idk if this is bad or what but the oil pressure gauge sits at the quarter way mark and as you drive it jumps up to half way and then goes back down when you stop?? ive never seen that before, is that normal or is that a problem? ill post some pics up later tonight because im waiting for them to be emailed to me from my friend ----thanks guys for your input.

edit: btw the "service engine soon" light is on...this is not the check engine light right? to my understanding thats the light that is set to go on after a certain amount of mileage is put on after a service done by the dealer to tell you its time to go back and have it serviced again right?

also right before i was going to shift i noticed a light came on that said "skip shift", i asked the guy that went for the ride with me and he didnt know what that ment.

Quick Reply: buying a camaro help