Bunch of electrical problems, anyone else have the same???

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 10:21 AM
Default Bunch of electrical problems, anyone else have the same???

Hello everyone. I have a 1996 Z28 camaro 5.7 liter with ASR. A couple of weird things have started to happen in the last couple of months and I hope you can help or let me know if any of you have had these problems. The first thing is, when I am in drive at a standstill my tachometer is at zero rpm, and even when I am going 40mph, it still only reads 500 rpm. It seems like the the tachometer is off by at least 600-900 rpms. I never really know what rpm the engine is at. The engine has no problem with reving or anything, its just that the tach is way off. Now the second problem is that the spedometer is always exactly 10mph off. I have not changed the gears or programed the car. If my speedometer says that I am going 30mph, I am actually going 40mph and have recieved several tickets because of this before I figured out that the speedometer was wrong. All of the other gauges work fine except fro the speedometer and the tachometer. Now the BIGGEST problem is, a week ago I was driving and went to pass a car, the tires squeeled so the ASR kick in and stop me from peeling out while going 40 mpg. Just like the ASR does, it applied the brakes and kicked up the accelerator. I went to pass another car and all of a sudden I have first and second gear only. The car will automatically shift into 1st and 2nd, but when it goes to shift into third it just revs all the way up like its in neutral untill I take my foot of the gas and then I have to put it in overdrive. When I put the car in overdrive, it will let me coast, but when I push the gas, I am back in second gear. I have REPLACED all 5 solenoids, filter, fluid, manifold pressure sensor, and inspected the old fluid. The old fluid is not burnt and there are no chunks in the pan. I have been told that the 3-4 clutches may be a cause of this, but litterally it happened instantly. A couple of people with the sameproblem have fixed it by cleaning the conector for the harness, replacing the ignition modual, and several other things. It just seems like all of this is some electrical problem.The trans was perfect before this and this really sounds like a electrical issue. Hope you can help. Thanks.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:41 PM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: Bunch of electrical problems, anyone else have the same???

Thats a lot to wright. If i read it right and when you give it gas the car free revs its the trany. For your speed you can take and have your speedo adjusted by a shop for about 65 bucks. For the Tach its sounds like a wire or fuse. Check around the back of the engine and the distributer. Sorry bad speeling.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:42 PM
1st Gear Member

The tach soudns like it could be the gauge or the sensor. As for the speedo, it might be the VSS. I would definitely check wiring and all relays etc as it sounds like there is somethig screwy with it.
As for the ASR kickin in and messin up the tranny...could be your computer starting to take a crap.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:23 AM
Tech Droid

I suggest you go to a reliable transmission shop before you damage stuff. They have test equipment that can check out all the related electrical stuff without having to disassemble the transmission.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:54 AM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

[sm=signs003.gif]