Brake lights problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 02:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Brake lights problem

A week ago I noticed my ABS and ASR come on at dash panel. No error codes but checked Wheel sensors and right front didn't give signal. Replaced the hub with sensor and checked with a wheel sensor tester, worked fine.

But the ABS and ASR lights still on after reseting with OBD, disconnected battery and drove the car for 30 minutes or so, also turned off engine and restarted several time but still ABS ASR lights on. Brakes feels fine.

THEN I found out that all three brake lights didn't worked! Guess this gives the ABS and ASR lights? Found out on internet that bad bulbs in third brake light can give this error. Checked the two bulbs in third light but they are fine. All other lights works fine as well (head-rear-hazard lights and turning signals).

So, to get to the bottom line; is there any fuse for the brake lights? I will check the brake switch tomorrow. Any other suggestions to check?

Old 08-27-2017, 08:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by aaberg
A week ago I noticed my ABS and ASR come on at dash panel. No error codes but checked Wheel sensors and right front didn't give signal. Replaced the hub with sensor and checked with a wheel sensor tester, worked fine.

But the ABS and ASR lights still on after reseting with OBD, disconnected battery and drove the car for 30 minutes or so, also turned off engine and restarted several time but still ABS ASR lights on. Brakes feels fine.

THEN I found out that all three brake lights didn't worked! Guess this gives the ABS and ASR lights? Found out on internet that bad bulbs in third brake light can give this error. Checked the two bulbs in third light but they are fine. All other lights works fine as well (head-rear-hazard lights and turning signals).

So, to get to the bottom line; is there any fuse for the brake lights? I will check the brake switch tomorrow. Any other suggestions to check?
I had a similar issue and it turned out I was using the wrong bulb, there were 2 identical ones but the one with brass colored socket cured the problem, I don't recall the number but the one not working had a silver socket.... FWIW

Old 08-27-2017, 08:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by aaberg

The fuse box is on drive side of dash u c it when u open door and there is cover held by Velcro

Old 08-28-2017, 09:25 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

better check the brake light switch. make sure you got power going in and coming out.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:40 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Lakerman62
I had a similar issue and it turned out I was using the wrong bulb, there were 2 identical ones but the one with brass colored socket cured the problem, I don't recall the number but the one not working had a silver socket.... FWIW

Wow. Well, I have same bulbs as before the brake light turned off, and the two bulbs in third light are OK too.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:43 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Lakerman62
The fuse box is on drive side of dash u c it when u open door and there is cover held by Velcro

Yes, I checked the fuses on side of dash and under hood, but there seems not to be any brake light fuse?! Only the fuse that also have the hazard and that works.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:45 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by craby
better check the brake light switch. make sure you got power going in and coming out.

Yes, guess that's next part do check. Any drawings how to check the brake light switch? But strange ABS and ASR are set on dash panel, can the light up with a malfunction brake light switch?

Last edited by aaberg; 08-28-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Update: I have checked all rear bulbs and they are OK. Also for your information the cruise control works fine - but still no ABS/ASR lights off and missing brake lights on all 3 lights.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:30 PM
2nd Gear member

The Stop/Hazard fuse in the IP panel block is the one for the brake lights.

If the rear turn signals work, other than wiring there are only two parts that can affect the brake lights, the brake light switch and one section of the Hazard light switch that switches from brake lights to rear Hazard lights.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:47 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Update: Just checked the brake light switch and two wirings to the switch. All works, so no brake light switch broken. Strange. Any suggestions? EBCM error? But no OBD-errors.

Quick Reply: Brake lights problem