Bought a 2000 LS1 Camaro Partially stripped. Now What?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 04:01 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by SpecterGT260
thats a good point. I dont know much about the salvage yard business. if you buy a roller from a scrap yard will it typically have all the docs?

Here in WA you do. You get the title to the car just like if you bought it from a lot. The car's title is turned in once the car is crushed and the DMV issues a waiver for scrap, and that allows the shipping companies to safely transport the cars to a recycler. If you get pulled over and you dont have the waiver for one of the crushed cars on your trailer you can be fined or arrested. I imagine all states have some type of form like that as well.

Massey

Old 02-28-2011, 04:10 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Here is PA it is a hugh PITA for a regular guy to get a title. The thing looks pretty stripped. Take what you need and put it up for 500 OBO. I am sure someone needs that rear clip. Without a title you will have to cut it up to scrap it.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:11 PM
3rd Gear Member

im with massey on this one. try to get a title, maybe try to apply for a new one if you put the car back together. if you have a cop friend, have em run the vin.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:26 PM
2nd Gear member

how much would a scrap yard give for a 96 camaro rolling chassis? i think im gunne do that with mine (too bad of shape) and get a 3rd generation

Old 02-28-2011, 09:30 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by MelloYello
how much would a scrap yard give for a 96 camaro rolling chassis? i think im gunne do that with mine (too bad of shape) and get a 3rd generation

You will be lucky to get $100.

Massey

Old 02-28-2011, 10:06 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Trust me when I say there is a reason someone started pulling parts off a $5000 car. If it was not worth fixing before all the parts where striped it is not worth fixing now. Did I miss something the Original poster does not want a Camaro he wants a LS1. Once that is gone its a stripped shell with no title. In most States they have to attemped to contact the last known owner. They will not tell you who that is. They have to give the owner 6 months to reply before a new title can be issued. That assumes the car was titled in your State. Imagine what a nightmare it would be if you could just get a title for any car that was not reported stolen. You would have people watching Obituaries and ICU units then searching out those peoples cars and they could say "I bought and he never gave me the title" and apply for titles. Most likely a Bank still has the title.

Hopfully somewhere close by there is a guy who wants a Camaro and is looking at a smashed rear that needs cut off. If not its $75 worth of metal that will need cut up before it can be junked.

Last edited by Gorn; 02-28-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:02 AM
In the Staging Lanes

i know it aint a camaro!but i actually put a completly apart 944 back together,they have a transaxle and tourque tube i would love to see pictures of an ls porsche build.as for your question sell it put on craigslist for whole or parts

Old 03-01-2011, 07:54 AM

Wow, a lot of responses. As far as I know, the car isn't hot. I bought it on Ebay and have the bill of sale from the previous owner to the guy I bought it from. He bought it as a roller and added the SS engine and Auto Trans. (supposedly 70K miles). He then ran it at a drag strip in Florida. I assume the valuable items are the transmission, rear axle, and the body, doors, hatch etc. Any idea what they are worth?

Old 03-01-2011, 07:58 AM

I forgot, it also has a set of long tube headers (ceramic coated) that probably won't fit in the 944.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:29 AM

Here's a picture of an LT1 powered 944 that I bought and am about to finish.

Name:  CCYtwqwBGkKGrHqYOKpEE0VpV8Mw1BNK7C8QEw_3.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  115.7 KB

Quick Reply: Bought a 2000 LS1 Camaro Partially stripped. Now What?