Best way to compress springs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 08:09 AM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Hm, if you only need rears, someone might sell you some low mileage ones on a forum (here, ls1tech, ftv6, etc)

Old 10-05-2011, 09:40 AM
Overdrive Member

You NEED a compressor!

Stay away from the auto parts rental compressors -- they suck! You will have a MUCH easier time with THIS one:

This one sucked:

I picked up a set at O'Reilly's:
| O'Reilly Auto Parts

The U-bolts are WAY simpler to get exactly where you want.

Also, the Bilsteins are better built shocks, might want to consider switching before you start the install.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:49 AM
Overdrive Member
Lightbulb

Are they original orange deCarbon/Delphi shocks? If so, replace them on all fours with Bilsteins, along with new rear bumpstops! Why do you think your springs are ruined? If the car is not sagging, your springs are likely ok. Does your car sag? Pictures? The shocks' job is to control the springs and damping.

Sounds like you should also check your various bushings (like rear LCAs, Panhard) for cracks, separation and disintegration.

Originally Posted by ta2mikep75
OK, here is the problem I have with my 95 V6 3.4L. I have been noticing that there seemed to be weakness in the rear suspension. i.e. I put my two small children in the back seat and a trip down the interstate is now full of bumps and rattles from the rear.

I put it on the lift, disconnected the top shock mount, lifted the car and checked the amount of actual pressure in the shocks, seemed fine. The axle bump stops are totally gone, nothing left of them but the mounting bolts.

The springs, on the other hand, are totally ruined. Since the shocks seemed to be ok I decided to check the springs while I was there anyhow. Before I grabbed the spring compressors and impact driver, I grabbed them with one hand and gave them a squeeze, they easily compressed under the power of a single hand, and I actually removed them from the car with no tools. Talk about weak springs.

Now, the question I have is this, I need a good set of springs for the rear. Any suggestions?

Old 10-05-2011, 09:49 AM
I Like to Party

How much are a set of bilsteins?I could always get a refund for.my springs and get bilsteins

Old 10-05-2011, 09:51 AM
I Like to Party

Shocks *

Old 10-05-2011, 10:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Are they original orange deCarbon/Delphi shocks? If so, replace them on all fours with Bilsteins, along with new rear bumpstops! Why do you think your springs are ruined? If the car is not sagging, your springs are likely ok. Does your car sag? Pictures? The shocks' job is to control the springs and damping.

Sounds like you should also check your various bushings (like rear LCAs, Panhard) for cracks, separation and disintegration.
+1^

Shocks are what really determine ride quality and control the rebound/compression of the spring. Spending money on quality shocks will keep you from replacing them more often and improve ride quality/handling.

BTW...be careful with the cheapy spring compressors you rent from auto-zone. I was helping a friend change springs...I had one fail on me and it nearly took my head off.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:07 PM
Overdrive Member

Ws6store.com has the lowest Bilstein prices I found, but no real advice. Stranoparts.com has a low price and probably the best install advice and tips you will find for F-Bodies.

I also strongly recommend checking you front lower A-Arm bushings for cracks/separation and deterioration and if so, then replace them and get an alignment -- they greatly contribute to who the car handles.

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 10-05-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:43 PM
I Like to Party

Again thanks liberty. Always good help.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:54 PM
3rd Gear Member

Since you have the tires and everything else apart look at the brakes. Good time to change them pads If needed.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:34 PM
1st Gear Member

i replaced my shocks with kyb a few months back much better the the stock orange ones but not 100% happy with them at higher speeds a little bouncy. ive used kyb in all of my 4x4 trucks and there great. not so much on sports cars there not as stiff as they should be. i also changed my rear springs at the same time with moog cargo springs but im just **** like that

Quick Reply: Best way to compress springs?