best exhaust for 2000 SS

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 09:49 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default best exhaust for 2000 SS

hey fellas im new here and i was just wonder what the best exhaust would be for the SS. i know i could put slp headers and Y pipe to borla cat-back but would that be as good as an X-pipe...or do they even make an X pipe for it ? whats the BEST way to go...moneys not a worry

Old 01-21-2009, 11:40 PM
Overdrive Member

well if you get an xpipe the exhaust will have to be custom made and it gets expensive, a true dual setup ranges from $300-600 and trust me you get what you pay for.On a stock car you should really just get headers and a ypipe and as for sound, it all depends on the person.Search youtube for different setups and pick what you like the best

Old 01-22-2009, 01:19 AM
Overdrive Member

For the LS1 cars Texas Speed and Performance makes an X-pipe and axle dump setup. It's pretty loud and you'll have to get headers to make it work, but the option is there. If you want a true dual setup with tips out the back you're going to be paying a pretty penny for it. I recommend starting small. Start by checking out which cat-back you think sounds the best and looks the best and go from there.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:38 AM
In the Staging Lanes

whats the best for horsepower ? i like the borla catback systemand i could pair that with an slp y pipe and headers...but i want the MOST horsepower....would an X pipe with axle dump be the best...and doesent that just mean the exhaust dumps out under

Old 01-22-2009, 11:01 AM
Overdrive Member

if youre after power exaust isnt going to do it for you.Intake and exhaust is a start but dont expect huge gains from it.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

but would the xpipe with dumps be a good way to go for power if i put it w/ slp headers ? or would it be better to do a true dual

Old 01-22-2009, 10:44 PM
Ninja Administrator

true duals and a dump are technically the best for power. technically. but you end up paying through the nose for what? 3 hp?
get a good set of headers. i dont have alot of money to spend so i went pacesetter, and for the ls1 they fit just great, but im sure something like kooks or hooker make a better header for twice the cost, but again were not even talking hp, were talking maybe 5ft*lbs of torque. then a 3" ypipe is just fine unless u wanna spend the 500ish dollars on a true dual setup then by all means.

the catback doesnt really matter because by this point most of the power has been made. most aftermarket catbacks perform similarly. I have a borla, but i ONLY have it because the car came with it. i would NEVER spend 1k on a catback which is what this thing cost. just go with what u like. if u have mod questions check out the sticky here in 4th gen about modding

Old 01-24-2009, 09:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes

thanks guys u are really helpfull...one more thing though....would true duals out the back pretty much the same results as dumps....and all i have to do to get true dual is just take it to the local exhaust shop and tell them what i want...and also would it be worth it to add high flow cats...? also what size would i want to do with true dual 3 inch ? and would it have a really good sound ?

Last edited by Antwan; 01-24-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:33 PM
Ninja Administrator

true duals out the back are very expensive. you have to route BOTH pipes over the axle through the same hole as the single stock location. its usually the preferred system if you have the money because it gives you the sound and performance most guys are after. just not worth it imo for a 1200 dollar system.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:38 PM
Overdrive Member

well it shouldnt be 1200, but most likely with parts will be around 700 with labor.Dumps before the axle it will be really loud in and outside your car.And you will have little to zero ground clearance.Not to mention your window will rattle at idle and acceleration, expect to have lots of vibration inside the car.

Quick Reply: best exhaust for 2000 SS