Belt squeaking - NEED HELP FAST!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 10:48 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Belt squeaking - NEED HELP FAST!!

I just got an underdrive pulley system for my car. Install was fine and easy. I put the new belt on and sounded/operated fine. About 50 miles later, the belt starting squeaking, so i took it off and it was really worn on one side. I bought another one that was 1/2 inch smaller. And sure enough, this morning, it started squeaking again. I cant keep buying a belt every other day. Whats wrong?

Old 11-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Overdrive Member

Pictures of the belts would be nice to help but with out I am going to guess that the new pulley does not line up correctly with the rest of the pulleys and is wearing one side too fast. Check out the alignments first.

Massey

Old 11-01-2010, 11:44 AM
Overdrive Member

Sounds like you may have a worn or failing belt tensioner? Or like Massey said a pulley is not aligned/installed quite right. Also make sure no pulleys are seizing up or have bad bearings...

Old 11-01-2010, 06:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok,well i looked at the newest belt and it doesnt have any wear on it, so i think the first belt was just put on badly. And i'll go check the bearings and alignment tho. Is it possible that one of the pulleys might need a little WD40 on them? Im thinking that bcuz the belt doesnt have any signs of wear on it and sounds like its coming from one certain pulley.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Haha ok, the wd40 worked. I just sprayed a couple of the pulleys that i thought were squeaking and it worked! Thanks for the help though.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Keep an eye (or ear) on the pulleys then. The idlers have sealed greased bearings, although I've repacked them before. If that's what was squeaking, then they're dry and won't last forever. Another common squeaker is the A/C clutch when it's free-wheeling. If the noise goes away when the A/C is turned on, that would be the noise maker. Again, if the A/C clutch is making a squeak, it will eventually turn into a grind, then a sawing, then a lock-up.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Well crap, it worked for while, but now its back. Idk what to do?

Old 11-02-2010, 03:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Well i went to an auto store, and they also think that its the tensioner, so i bought one and im putting it on in a bit. Details later

Old 11-03-2010, 10:32 AM
1st Gear Member

i put the new tensioner on ,and its still making that da** noise. I dont think its the belt, i think its one of the pulleys. Does anyone know how much it would cost for a new pulley? Idk which one it is, but if you ae looking at the 95 3.4, its the one in the middle, just under the air intake, and the bigger one to the right of it.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Like I said earlier, turn on your A/C (hopefully it works) which will engage the compressor clutch.
If the noise goes away, then that's your trouble maker.

Quick Reply: Belt squeaking - NEED HELP FAST!!