base 96 conv BCM ? problems ? int lights, etc

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 08:13 PM
Default base 96 conv BCM ? problems ? int lights, etc

I'm having basically the same problems this guy complained about - except mine is a 3.8 L BASE 1996 Camaro 5 speed manual trans w/ keyless entry remote and is a convertible and my 20Amp (I/P fuse #8) blows ALMOST immediately when replaced. I do not want to buy an expensive BCM and find out it's not it. Note: always BEFORE my 20A I/P fuse blows, the door locks work even with the remote, but the interior lights NEVER come on - makes me think something wrong in that area of the wiring - Also, my horn blows and the alarm still works, but the outside side lights no longer "flash" on and off when I arm the system with the remote:

the Body Control Module (BCM) in my '96 Z28 is malfunctioning. It is causing:
- The remote keyfob does not operate the central lock (I can open and lock the door only with the manual sliding lock or the door key).
-The courtesy lights which were working OK, now don't work and the fuse blows (replaced it twice already). The bulbs are the correct type and the 20amp fuse is correct too.
-the new door lock buttons do not operate the solenoids (they worked fine for a few days before the BCM started acting up).
-it causes a clicking noise every 10 seconds under the glovebox which I'm afraid is draining my battery.

The keyfob still arms and disarms the alarm and flashes the turn signals and honks the horn when doing so. the 3rd. button still unlocks the hatch. My car has not been tampered with, has no aftermarket electronics, even the radio is the original delco-Bose one.

I have spent HOURS researching the web and I'm only more confused now about the BCM. No auto parts store (napa, autozone, pep boys, advance, etc) carries a BCM for my Camaro, there are used ones on EBay, but I can only get it new from gmpartsdirect.com and it costs $138 + shipping...

After reading everything in websites and forums including conflicting information and dissassembling some pieces in my car, I found my OEM BCM part is 16243951 (stamped "made in Singapore" damn!). It seems like:

-the 93-95 uses one type of BCM (behind the passenger side kick panel), the 96-97 uses another type (under the glovebox like mine) and the 98-2002 yet another one, and even within years there is a variance between the cars with anti-theft and the ones without (I thought all Camaros were sold with a remote keyfob?)

- I can't buy a used BCM, because the BCM chip programs itself with the Pass-key code the first time the ignition is turned to run. I would have to get one with the same ID as mine, which I don't know which one is so anyway I have to shell out the $138 + shipping. So I resigned myself to having to buy it new before my actual one gets worse and disables the ignition or something.

-I called a big place that refurbishes ECU computers here in FL, but they don't mess around with BCMs. they said: "There is programming involved in the car so we don't do it, its complicated go to a Chevy dealership"

Now, If I get a new BCM, it seems it's not just a matter of disconnecting the battery, replace it and reconnecting the battery again, because "some sort" of programming has to be done between the ECU and the BCM. I worked at a Chevy dealership some time ago and believe me I don't want to get ripped off, or have novice technicians making things worse and telling me I have to unnecesarily buy X, Y and Z new parts (usually out of stock and expensive). Does anyone know what "programming" is involved? with what equipment? an OBDII scanner? or just removing the radio fuse and punching some buttons in sequence like programming a keyfob?

Any ideas? why is this part so hard to get? would seem that it is bulletproof if that is so... or am I of the few ones that has had trouble with a BCM?

All the above was from another guy that never said what if anything resolved his problem. Any ideas? Any help appreciated.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:07 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

look at 11 and 11.5 here, see if it helps any https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02...rt-here-38462/

Old 09-04-2013, 08:39 PM

Forgot to0 mention I;ve already tried resoldering the joints on the BCM. No luck.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default BCM clicking after speaker replacement

Hop you don't mind me piggy backing on your post. I have a base 97 Camaro v6 which is dead after replacing the blown front speakers.

When I first replaced the speakers the car would just click as if the solenoid was bad. Then it changed to doing nothing except the BCM clicking when the door is open.

With the BCM attached and the large connector removed the clicking stops. This after I removed the radio too.

The only issue with installing the speakers was one of the wires on the passenger side speaker fell off and was contacting the magnet. The other speaker was producing sound with no issue. When I fixed the loose wire the passenger speaker produced sound.

Like you I took it out and re-soldered the relay with no change. As of now the car wont try to start and I am at a loss on what to do next .

Any suggestions ??

Tom

Old 11-09-2013, 10:01 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by bobden
Forgot to0 mention I;ve already tried resoldering the joints on the BCM. No luck.
Here is what I would do: Unplug C1 and C3 connectors at the BCM and try again to see if the fuse blows. Leave C2 connected (middle connector).

If it does, the BCM may be shorted. Remove it and inspect the capacitors (little cans) for bulging. If you find any, remove them and try again. If that works, get someone to replace the capacitors (electrical geek)

If the fuse does not blow, something outside the BCM is shorted, like a lamp or relay.