bad gasmilage

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 01:05 AM
Default bad gasmilage

so ive been driving around my car and i have noticed that i am only getting like 10 mpg, is there any suggestions wat it could b that is bogging it down so much

Old 01-16-2009, 01:27 AM
Overdrive Member

Check your plugs and wires, if you have a cylinder that isn't firing it's going to take your fuel economy way down. Other than that, have you noticed any other odd behavior?

Old 01-16-2009, 01:32 AM

sometimes wen i barely touch on the pedal the rpms will drop for a sec, and sometimes wen i stop then accelerate from 0 it will do the same thing then start to climb like normal

Old 01-16-2009, 07:30 AM
Tech Droid

Check Engine lit ?

Old 01-16-2009, 09:23 AM
4th Gear Member

sixer or eight? manny or automatic?

what were you getting for mpg prior to this? IS this city or country with no traffic?

Obama said to check your tires (sorry, had to throw that in)

are there any tell tale signs such as rough running engine?

what mods do you have?

After I got the Z up and running and purring, I was getting about 15mpg around town. I wondered why so low but realized that my right foot must have weighed more as it kept pushing down. I put the foot on a diet and am now at 18-19 mpg around town

Old 01-16-2009, 02:32 PM

its a v6 auto, the engine runs pretty good its bone stock and the check engine light is on. i talked to a certified mechanic about it and it might b my fuel filter being cloged and im goin to take the car into to the shop the get the check engine light checked, ive also noticed a loss of power wen i try to get on the freeway

Last edited by Enjoi_My95camaro; 01-16-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:05 PM

Mine is a 94 Z28 six speed doing about the same mileage. I changed plugs and wires and fuel filter and all fluids and cleaned the throttle body when I got the car this past summer.
It's been fun playing with the power but I still think I should be getting better mileage than I am now. Only about 10 mpg aroung town. Highway use is a lot better. When the tank shows empty I can get about 14 - 16 gallons in it at fill-up. Is this about right? Recently though I noticed that when I open the gas cap I get a rush of air like vapor lock is happening. However the car never stalls when after constant driving for more than an hour. I have a replacement cap coming just questioning if this could cause poor mileage.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:36 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Your are getting poor fuel mileage in a car that has a warning light. The warning light mean something is wrong with with your fuel managment system. And you are asking whats wrong? It is possible it is the fuel filter could do this but if it been doing this for awhile is is unlikely. The filter would have to drop your fuel pressure enough that the computer could not comp with injector pulse and send it into LHM. Any computer in LHM(Limp Home Mode) with low fuel pressure would run like crap.

BTW if you think its a fuel filter don't drive it. A partially plug fuel filter will kill a fuel pump in a very short time.

Last edited by Gorn; 01-17-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:22 AM

dont worry i get 14 mpg with the v6 i have a problem too i think it might be in the exhaust connection when i get up to 3000 rpm and let go of the gas pedal i hear a low pitch rumbling in my muffler louder than usual and i dont have any exhaust tips. When i open up my gas tank i have the sudden release of pressure too i figured its common for the camaros? I dont have the check engine sign flashing, and just an important factor i bought the car recently with 131000 kms on it its a 94 so that means it mustve been sitting for a while anyone know any common problems with camaros that havent been used for a while.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:12 PM

In responds to Gorn, the guy who had the car before me said he had to replace the fuel pump cuz something went wrong but he never told me exactly what it was