Automatic Shift Adapter

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 06:01 PM
Two Cylinders Short of Win

Go to this guy's writeup: http://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance...-write-up.html

That adapter is exactly what mine looks like. So if you have one, you know how where the ridges are at the top is mainly where the white plastic push button is sticking out inside. Well, I don't think that entire small post is just the plastic. I'm pretty sure the metal stick part goes in there, which makes too much friction. It would make sense that it could work if you put those spacers into the top of it, but no spacers came with either of our adapters, and nobody else has had any problems without the spacers. These are designed for our cars specifically, and all are identical so it just doesn't make sense that they don't come with spacers if all of our cars would require them.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:12 PM

Makes a little more sense now when you see the way they advertise the adapter that goes with "Their" ****. That combined with the way you're telling me it was packaged, sounds like good business sense :P

Old 10-15-2010, 06:20 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Honestly, I'm not sure what to tell you. That write up is correct, but I would not start cutting the smaller plastic shift lever. The adapter should slide right over and stop when it's all the way on as long as you have the direction of the set screws correct. And they should only be tight against the plastic piece through the tunnels/slots you can see in the pics in the front and back. It won't shift with just the adapter on if you try, there needs to be more force (hence the need for the ****) to push it down and out of gear.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:11 PM

I just put a makeshift spacer in there and it def. makes it easier, but I need something closer to the actual thing. What I used were like the foam spacers that are double sided sticky. I think they came with the gas pedal covers I bought. Where can I get something that is closer to the spacer that came with your ****? I don't know what those spacers look like. I just think its weird that we need to use spacers in an adapter that is made only for our car. That is usually something you do for fitment of universal products.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:22 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I know, I was really frustrated with my adapter for awhile. I got mine through Afterthoughts or something like that. It didn't come with anything other than the set screws. I really wanted one of the ***** from the WS6 store, but they didn't have any plain ***** with the tail...just plain without. So I got the SS **** with tail. Like I said, I got these small cardboard spacers with the ****. I didn't know what they were for. So when I tried putting the **** on with the adapter, it fit better, but still wouldn't really work. So just for the hell of it, I dropped in the spacers at the bottom of the adapter, quickly put it on the shifter so they wouldn't fall out, and what do you know? It worked like it was suppose to. They are just small pieces of round cardboard that fits the diameter of the adapter. Maybe try cutting up a shoe box? It's about that same kind of cardboard. But I had issues too until I put those spacers in. Maybe just some cars are weird and worn out more than others and needs spacers? I'm not sure. But maybe try that. If that doesn't work, wait for the new adapter and see if it's any different.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:29 PM

K that sounds simple enough. Thanks...What would I do without the CF community? (So far mainly DarlingReject, Gorn, LibertyforaLL :P)

Old 10-15-2010, 07:32 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Haha sorry, but other than the spacers, I'm out of ideas if they don't work. So I hope something will work for ya. Let us know.

Last edited by DarlingReject; 10-15-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:08 PM

I forgot to include Massey in my list...I feel like I haven't seen him on here for a while

Old 10-15-2010, 08:16 PM

Darling you said you didn't shave down your stick when you put the adapter on right? How did you get a shift boot to fit properly after that since it makes the **** sit up higher than normal? And I forget, did you use the redlinegoods shift boot?