Anything else to check for fuel pump issue?

Old 06-11-2019, 04:38 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Anything else to check for fuel pump issue? *Update*

Hi everyone,

I'm checking in here to see if I've gone through everything before concluding my fuel pump needs to be replaced. Quick info: I took the tank out of the car a few months ago and fixed the fuel sender level assembly and replaced the decaying rubber seals in the sender unit, some evap, hose, etc. Checked everything out and just reused my TRE pump. Hadn't had any issues with it.

Car has run some since then but hasn't really been driven. I took out a couple days ago, after idling for a bit and checking some fluid levels and stuff, and got a mile before the whole engine shut down on me. Won't start, and no fuel pump coming on when you turn the key. No fuel pressure on the gauge I connected up. I've checked all the (possibly) related fuses (good), pulled the pump relay and checked that (also good), and I pulled the 3 wire connector at the back of the car and verified that there is 12V going to the tank/pump.

So, I guess my pump just died suddenly?

Last edited by vipe155; 06-28-2019 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:21 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Sure sounds that way. With verified power (and ground) going to the pump, it should run.

Old 06-28-2019, 04:35 PM
1st Gear Member

I got a new Delphi pump assembly, and pulled the tank again, checked everything out, and replaced the pump. Now the pump powers up when you turn the key, but the new issue is that my fuel pressure is very low. Like 12-15 psi.

I don't have the exhaust on the car, so I haven't tried starting it. I've checked the hoses for kinks, the fuel filter was recently replaced, so what should I be looking for or checking next? Why would my pump die on me, then after replacement now have fuel pressure issues?

Old 07-01-2019, 09:02 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

what year and engine. could be fuel pressure regulator is not working right.

Old 07-01-2019, 11:34 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Anything loose on the pump could cause low pressure. If one of the hoses on the pump assemble is failing it could also drop pressure. I would expect a engine with only 12 PSI to not even try to start. I am not sure that would even push out of the injector.

Just a FYI most fuel pump companies will want to see a fuel filter receipt if you need to warranty a pump. I think you will find that installing a pump without replacing the filter voids the warranty.

Old 07-01-2019, 06:50 PM
1st Gear Member

It's a 3.4L 1995. From my reading, I guess the fuel pressure regulator may be something to check out.

This problem shouldn't be anything to do with the new pump or the fuel filter. Everything inside the tank is new or was checked out, and the hoses coming from the tank don't have any damage or kinks.

Old 07-02-2019, 09:56 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Defective parts happen, I have had to fix many car right after they came off the car trailer with every single parts new. Even on a race team with everything checked twice by different high end techs have failure. Don't limit yourself thinking there can be nothing wrong in any area.

I put 3 fuel pumps in my 96 before I got one that lasted.

Old 07-02-2019, 03:37 PM
1st Gear Member

it's true that bad parts can happen off the shelf. I made sure to buy a well considered Delphi pump for this, something that should match up favorably with OEM. Not some cheap brand or random part.

Should I suspect something like the fuel pressure regulator, or perhaps just go ahead and exchange the pump before the store (not Delphi) return window ends?

Old 07-03-2019, 07:34 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

to test the fuel pressure regulator you will need to be able to block off the return line. I uncovered a part of the return line that was not exposed to get to a part that was not as brittle. then covered it with a folded piece of cardboard and pinched it with some vise grips just tight enough to block the flow, didn't get to carried away so as to crack the line. once blocked the pressure went up to 50lbs. I went through 3 regulators before finding one that worked correctly for my lt1. it may be you can unhook the return line and just block off the line at the metal part somehow. not sure how the 3.4 is set up.

Old 07-06-2019, 06:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
to test the fuel pressure regulator you will need to be able to block off the return line. I uncovered a part of the return line that was not exposed to get to a part that was not as brittle. then covered it with a folded piece of cardboard and pinched it with some vise grips just tight enough to block the flow, didn't get to carried away so as to crack the line. once blocked the pressure went up to 50lbs. I went through 3 regulators before finding one that worked correctly for my lt1. it may be you can unhook the return line and just block off the line at the metal part somehow. not sure how the 3.4 is set up.
I'm going to be checking out the fpr then. I need the engine to actually run to check this right? What if I don't have enough pressure to start the engine?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anything else to check for fuel pump issue?