Anyone help me find this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 04:24 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default Anyone help me find this?

So that 'ticking' we found MIGHT be from the RTV wearing out coming off the EGR to the headers, causing it to leak. There was never a gasket there before, it was just blue RTV. Is there even a gasket available for this spot? I've searched before and haven't found anything. Case wasn't able to find anything either. I even went back through my left over gasket sets I still have to see if maybe it was missed and I didn't see anything. I really don't want to have to keep RTVing this spot and if there's no gasket actually made, I was thinking about buying some gasket material and just cutting one myself. Here's a pic of the spot, it's circled in pink

Name:  102_1098a.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  95.2 KB

Old 11-07-2010, 04:30 PM
3rd Gear Member

Could just remove the EGR system completey, I don't think there are any negatives in doing it.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:30 PM
4th Gear Member

Not sure about with the headers but on the reg manifolds, there is just a metal fitting that holds it into the manifold. Might be able to take an extra gasket and cut your own from it but I would think it would need to be a gasket such as a exhaust manifold type gasket to keep from melting.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Overdrive Member

There is no gasket there just a flange. The only EGR gasket is this one

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...r+valve+gasket

But that is for the base of the actual valve. JB weld or quiksteel would handle the heat but they would be a semi perminate repair.

Massey

Old 11-07-2010, 04:49 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I kinda figured that's why I wasn't able to find anything. I really didn't think about the whole heat issue which is probably why that RTV didn't last very long. I'll have to look into that other stuff and see what Case says about it. Thanks guys.

Oh and FD, my bf suggested getting rid of it as well so we did an experiment. I drove on the highway without the EGR plugged in before and she felt like crap. So it got plugged back in.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:58 PM
3rd Gear Member

That's weird, maybe because your car isn't tuned with all the work you have done? I can't be sure, good luck with it though.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:01 PM
Overdrive Member

IF you were going to remove the EGR you would have needed to inform PCM4Less about it so they could program the computer to ignore the system.

Massey

Old 11-07-2010, 05:03 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I didn't have much work done when we did it. My tune should be shipped tomorrow though He only mentioned me trying that because he has his unplugged on his 95 Blazer and it improved his performance a bit. That's why he suggested I try it. But It kinda had the opposite effect. So I'm not sure maybe my car is just retarded. Oh wait, she is.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Overdrive Member

The EGR system for the blazer and the camaro are not the same. The newer EGR system does not effect engine performance and it will increase gas mileage. The blazer's EGR system takes exhaust gas directly from the crossover and puts it in the intake manifold. This puts hot gasses into the intake and that effects the ability of the to effectivly burn fuel.

Massey

Old 11-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I don't even remember when it was done, but when I tried it, she felt rough and like she was lagging. I didn't like how it felt at all. Like GM put that in there for a reason and it actually serves its purpose well. So it's staying, at least for now.

I don't know 100% if that spot between the EGR and headers is the problem, it still could be a lifter. But that's easier to fix than replacing lifters, so we'll start with that first and see what happens.

Quick Reply: Anyone help me find this?