anyone good with transmissons??

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 06:29 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default anyone good with transmissons??

ok..idk if i posted a bulletin about this when i bought my car or not...i have a t56 6 speed trans..well theres a problem with the trans and or clutch...im not sure...well what it does it it grinds..not going into 6, not changing gears, but it grinds when im coming off the clutch...it does it in all gears just not all of the time, the worste is 1st gear...say im at dead stop, i put it in 1st nd give it gas, nd if i give her more than 1500 rpms, it will grind when im releasing the clutch...same goes for reverse..nd the other gears it will do it if i accidently hit the gas or something before coming off the clutch completely...but its horrible in 1st gear nd revers its loud nd horrible sounding nd really embarrasing..but yea if any one can help me i would really appreciate it before i go off buying a whole new trans...nd to state again ITS ONLY WHEN IM ALREADY IN GEAR AND COMING OFF THE CLUTCH....NOT WHEN IM PUTTING IT IN GEAR some people didnt get that part when i tell them...but yeah, help would be muy apreciated

Old 02-25-2008, 11:18 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: anyone good with transmissons??

Someone that is a bit more savvy on transmissions may have some more specific advice, but with my limited knowledge it sounds like it could be a problem with the input shaft slipping inside the transmission. It sounds like it only happens when there is a load on the motor and transmission and only then does the "grinding" noise happen, which would make sense with the input shaft and the grinding noise. If this is the case you would have to determine whether the transmission or the engine was the culprit.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:50 PM
3rd Gear Member

my buddy thinks it could be the through/release bearing, w/e you wanna call it, i dont think its anything to do with my trans otherwise i would loose a gear or it would grind while im driving...but im not completely sure..its rather embarrasing too..but oh well

Old 02-27-2008, 01:13 AM
Overdrive Member

I believe (once again, correct me if I'm wrong here guys[&:]) that if it were the release bearing that it would do it even if the car were in neutral because it's still causing the trans to spin, it's just not transfering to the drive shaft, and it would do it all the time, not just when you were about 1500 rpm. Plus, in my experience a bearing doesn't grind, something that has teeth grinds, such as the input shaft. Anyway, I think I'm going to stop talking so I don't go spreading false info and I'll wait for someone else to chime in with their thoughs (Pete I'm looking at you!)

Old 02-27-2008, 02:35 PM
3rd Gear Member

well there also is a knocking sound when in neutral not griding but like a knocking sometimes, nd it will stop when you put ur foot on the clutch..but its not when its about 1500 rpms, its if its more than that like 1800+ coming off the clutch when its engaging

Old 02-27-2008, 02:36 PM
3rd Gear Member

come on guys this thread has had 42 views so far nd 4 post...does no one know anything about transmissions?

Old 02-27-2008, 03:06 PM
Overdrive Member

Does the clutch pedal vibrate when in neutral or in gear? I'm talking about with the pedal released, not when you have it pushed in.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:17 PM
3rd Gear Member

idk, ill check that out, but i can feel it when it grinds in the pedal as well as the shaft

Old 02-27-2008, 06:26 PM
1st Gear Member

not 100% for your situation e but it was my throwout bearing on one of my swapped integras. I know its a different car and all but it would never grind changing gears or in neutral only when pressure was the clutch pedal. Hope this helps

Old 02-27-2008, 07:32 PM
1st Gear Member

sounds like throw out bearing or pilot bearing went bad and caused the damage.

Take it out and take a look- (been a while) but you may be able to see the shaft from the clutch fork area and might be able to see if there is excessive play on the input shaft.

Quick Reply: anyone good with transmissons??