Any 1 Drive their Camaro in the winter???

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 12:14 AM
Default Any 1 Drive their Camaro in the winter???

Hi all,
Just got a Camaro a couple months ago. I've been driving an older jeep for the last 5 / 6 years, and now that winter is coming I'm starting to wonder if the car will be road worthy at all? I mean, obviously, i'm not expecting it to go in the snow liek my jeep LOL but do any of you actually drive your camaros in the winter?

I had a firebird before the jeep, and as long as i had weight in the trunk (bags of sand) it did ok. well, it was driveable. lol

We don't actually get whole helluva lot of snow in columbus usually, but icy roads are defnitely gonna be an issue.

Do you drive yours in the winter, and if so how does it handle?

Old 10-11-2007, 12:36 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Any 1 Drive their Camaro in the winter???

Yougotta drive worse than your grandma on prozak. Seriously.I do because its all I have. If the roads have more than like 3 inches of snow however, you can forget it. If you're in flat country and treat it very easy with the clutch and everything, you can get by, halfway, but don't get your hopes up.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:09 AM
Overdrive Member

I drive mine in the winter of Denver, but that's only if I have to. I can say that the car made it home on some of the worst roads that I've driven on, it took a while and I'm convinced the only reason I was able to make it home was because of the sand trucks, but hey, it made it right? You can drive it if you must, but I'd suggest getting a beater Honda civic for a winter car.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:26 AM
2nd Gear member

i gotta agree with 95slvr on that one lol, i bought a honda ...... to be exact it is a 1994 hatchback civic, perfect for the winter, mint interior and HEAT HEAT HEAT!! lol Name:  DCP00200.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  25.6 KB thats pretty much it right there, picture is old but the car is pretty much in great shape still, different wheels now though RICE!!!!!

Old 10-11-2007, 03:09 AM
2nd Gear member

i wanna get a beater truck,i used to have an 86 toyota pickup, it was the BOMB in winter. would go anywhere. little 5 speed, 4x4

Old 10-11-2007, 07:44 AM
4th Gear Member

i drove mine in winter couple times, but not really. if u get studded tires u'll be fine, the previous owner always drove mine in winter, jus make sure u keep it clean so it dont rust. DON'T drive it if there's more than i'd have to say 5 or 6 inches of snow though. not only will traction be messed up, but ur putting ur engine in the snow. lol. my starter went bad from that. but hey, when the roads are plowed, and salted, they run real good in cold air/weather.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:46 AM
4th Gear Member

and btw, i live in upstate NY, lake george, so ton's of snow, i couldnt drive it prolly 3 of 7 days a week.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes

hell yeah, i even race during the winter!!!! but thatsmainly due to me living in california. [8D]

Old 10-11-2007, 01:19 PM
April 2008 ROTM

I do. It is my daily driver.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:42 PM
Tech Droid

Drove mine for 6 or 7 winters. It is doable with up to 3" of snow on the road,but forget about it if it goes over 4". The posi is totally useless on ice. Both rear wheels start spinning together and then the back of the car likes to slide off the crown of the road into the curb, and then stay there. Going up on an incline, when the road is iced up is even more fun, the rear wheels are spinning forward and the car is going backwards. If you have an automatic, just let the idling engine start the car moving, and then very very gently build up speed. In snow you need to keep some speed to prevent the car coming to a stop where snow piles up, but don't want to go too fast and not be able to stop or make a turn.

Quick Reply: Any 1 Drive their Camaro in the winter???