another thread about headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 11:51 AM
2nd Gear member
Default another thread about headers

i know there are a crap load of header threads, but i just hate hijacking other people's threads [&:]

ok so if you have an LT1 f-body, and you install the SLP LM exhaust (which is made for the LS1 body) would it matter what kind of headers you get?

and then which brand is better BBK or Pacesetter? and with that out of the way, is there much different between mid tube and longtubes? and is a new Y required or could you use the stock one?

thanks!

Old 02-10-2008, 12:53 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: another thread about headers

well BBK imo is over priced... pacesetter has trouble with their headgaskets but its not like thats hard to fix.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:22 PM
2nd Gear member

since im doubting that you gain 40+hp with headers, what are the actually realistic numbers?

Old 02-10-2008, 09:17 PM
4th Gear Member

idk ive heard full exhaust gets like 20 tops.. so maybeless than10?

Old 02-11-2008, 12:27 AM
Overdrive Member

What kind of car are we talking about here?

If it's an LT1/LS1 don't get BBK or Pacesetter, get a good long tube such as Kooks, or Dynatech if you have more of a budget. If it's on a 3.4/3.8 I'd for for the Pacesetters because I think BBK is overpriced.

As far as realistic gains, on a V8 you can see around 30 HP, some LS1's see around 30 at the wheels, but LSx motors respond very well to any exhaust side mod. On a sixxer, I can't quite say, although I wouldn't think it'd be too much since I doubt they can produce enough exhaust in a stock form to fully utilize the flow of a header back exhaust system.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:56 AM
4th Gear Member

30hp on headers alone? i thought that was for the full exhuast?

Old 02-11-2008, 08:01 AM
Ninja Administrator

if you do LT's you HAVE to get a new ypipe, so u cant really get "header only" numbers.

and dont do this if you intend on staying with the stock ypipe. its a waste of your time. Get a 3" off road ypipe for $120 if emissions will allow it.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:39 AM
Overdrive Member

Well Specter you can get a headers only number...but that means that you're running open headers which is going to net more power than a full exhaust number

And Spartan, Specter is 100% correct about the Y pipe thing, a shorty header with the stock Y pipe isn't going to get you any HP because the stock Y is very restrictive due to path and bad bends...

Old 02-11-2008, 12:22 PM
4th Gear Member

yeah yeah i know that. I was asking if for full aftermarket exhuast youd see 30hp from headers alone?

Old 02-11-2008, 12:41 PM
Ninja Administrator

ORIGINAL: Spartan66

yeah yeah i know that. I was asking if for full aftermarket exhuast youd see 30hp from headers alone?
what?

full aftermarket exhaust yes, 30 is reasonable.

headers alone - possibly more if the motor can utilize the flow, because open headers flow better than any exhaust.

lets pretend u already have a ypipe and catback, but stock manifolds, and decide to do shorties and keep ur aftermarket ypipe - probably less than 30, because some of the gain is in the ypipe u already have. and shorty ypipes (which are actually the longer ones, because shorty refers to the header) are generally smaller diameter.

lets say u have an aftermarket ypipe, stock manifolds, and want to go LT's with a new ypipe - could still see 30, because a new larger ypipe WILL be required. ive only ever seen flanged headers on mustangs, all GM headers are just tube collecters and you need a sleeve belt clamp to attach the ypipe. and ive never seen a 2.5" collecter on a longtube, so ur going to be upgrading to 3" exhaust more than likely.

thats about every way i can think to answer u.... i dont know what u mean with the full aftermarket exhaust and headers alone, its a contradiction

the headerback exhaust system really should be treated as a supporting mod to the headers. thats your real mod. ypipes can be important too. the catback is less important as long as u have a good one.

Quick Reply: another thread about headers