Another P1406 -Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 07:18 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Another P1406 -Question

Ok so my dumb dumb light is on and has been on ever since I did the intake gaskets, so I went to get a the OBDII scanned and it popped up with P1406 , now ive done a few searches on this problem and it seems like this there is a mix up with the EGR, now I was told part # EGR1081

it seems like others are referring to this part, part no EGR1075, i have noticed from other pictures on EGR1075 mine is turned differently

which is the real problem with the EGR system both?

Old 08-13-2011, 07:50 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

looks like they gave you the number for the lt1 egr. the second looks to be for the 3.8

Old 08-13-2011, 10:45 PM
1st Gear Member

is there a way to turn the egr valve back to the original position this is what my egr valve looks like now

Name:  P1040318.jpg
Views: 1512
Size:  81.6 KB

now when i look at other 3800's their turned more to the right. how do i turn this thing

Old 08-13-2011, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member

btw part no. EGR1081 looks like it sits right behind the intake on my engine called the EVAP canister switch. is this correct, and so this would have nothing to do with the P1406 code?

Old 08-14-2011, 01:13 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i went to rock auto and got five different brands. might have a look at them to see if they look like what you want.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:15 AM
1st Gear Member

things ive noticed after i re did the intake gaskets, is the code p1406
if you look at a picture on autozone or find on this forum other pictures of 3800 engines youll see their turned more to the right the egr valve , anyways the car gets hot, upto 210 sometimes then i turn it off, i know the engine still is safe at that temp but i dont think its good either, i hear spark knock like a ticking sound (not tapping or knocking) did a little reseach and i guess if the egr valve is messin up its causes spark knock and over heating

Old 08-14-2011, 03:10 AM
Overdrive Member

The 3800 is happy running at 210, that is the optimal operating temp for this engine. It is perfectly normal. Yes bad EGR can cause knocking, the computer uses the EGR at cruising to add a little exhaust gas to the intake stream to lower combustion temps to prevent knocking. This allows a higher timing advance and that helps give you better performance and mileage. EGR on these cars are not a power robber like egr of old was.

The valve you have listed in thefirst pic is not the right one for your engine. The 3800 uses a digital EGR like in the second pic. It can only go on one way correctly so you should not have any issues with it being turned the wrong way. You can kinda see my egr valve in these pics

Name:  DSCN0407a.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  96.6 KB

Name:  DSCN0295a.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  118.0 KB

Hope this helps

Massey

Old 08-14-2011, 05:39 AM
1st Gear Member

thanks massey, it did help. but im still noticing ur EGR is turned more toward the front of your vehicle verse mine is turned more towards the back and the one autozone has listed has a O-Clamp im guessing for adjusting or turning the unit left or right?? I know it installs only one way, but the upper portion turn at all?
heres a pic, also i used to have a 160F thermostat and now a 180F, neither one made a difference in the temp hitting 210, just as a note i replaced coolant temp sensor 3 months ago, and i believe my oil pressure sensor needs to be replaced now as well because its very floppy
Name:  camaro.jpg
Views: 864
Size:  47.4 KB

AUTOZONE's test
EGR Valve pintle position circuit
Explanation
The EGR pintle position was 10% of expected position
Probable cause
Failed EGR
OR
Open or short circuit condition

Last edited by ChevyManCam; 08-14-2011 at 05:43 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:11 PM
Overdrive Member

YEa that code is usually always a bad EGR valve. The way the plug is turned on the top of the valve should not matter much if any at all. I would not worry about that.

As for the thermostat... The temp on the T-stat is not where the car will run but where the T-stat opens. It will just take longer to get the car up to operating temp if you use one that is too low. Most vehicles will still achieve proper temp no matter what. Trucks and vans that have extra large radiators will not usually reach full operating temp with a low T-stat when they are driven unloaded. The radiators are made too large to provide extra cooling when they are pulling, hauling and or just working hard so the engine does not overheat. Even if you use a 160 in a truck it will get up to about 200° when you are pulling or hauling.

Also a thing to consider is, you may get a CEL by using too low of a T-stat because the comp will complain about the engine not reaching operating temp.

Massey

Old 08-14-2011, 05:59 PM
1st Gear Member

thanks again massey one more question and ill leave this alone lol, this ticking sound i hear on the driver side, is this the EGR valve stuck? first when i heard it, it was random now its always ticking, i plan on removing and sea forming the egr tonight, also replacing the water pump, and i did forget to mention one important part, shame on me but when i did the intake i used 3 diff brands of 50/50 coolant, today my temp did get passed 210 probably hit 215.

Quick Reply: Another P1406 -Question