Anomalous Camaro Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 01:27 AM
Default Anomalous Camaro Please Help!

Hi, folks! Let me begin by saying that I am obviously a new member to the forum and that I have been lurking around the site for a few days trying to get insight on a 1994 Camaro Z28 that I just bought for $900. I got it so cheap because the owner kept blowing the 3-4 clutches on the trans and was fed up with it. Anyway, so it has been sitting in my driveway while it try to find out everything I can about the vehicle history and I just keep getting curveballs: There are no Z28 badges anywhere on the vehicle, the engine is bone stock (but it has aluminum heads), and the speedometer only goes to 110. I checked the VIN on Camarosource.ca and decodethis.com, but here are my question: Were Z28s produced w/o badging (I do not think someone would take them off), I thought LT1s come with cast iron heads, and I also thought that all Z28 gauge clusters go to 150MPH? Thanks for the help. -Rich

Old 06-05-2008, 01:45 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Anomalous Camaro Please Help!

well the lt1 engines in f-bodies came with aluminum heads, the lt1 engines in the caprice had iron heads, stuff can happen for it not to have badges, it could have been repainted or maybe the badges were stolen off, and all the z28s i have seen went to 150, so it could be a v6 camaro that was transformed into a z28clone with a lt1 swap

Old 06-05-2008, 02:00 AM

I thought about that. That is why I checked the VIN. It comes back as a Z28 on the VIN sites.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:14 AM
Overdrive Member

If you have the 110 mph Speedo it means the car was ordered from the factory with S rated tires, not Z rated. This means the car will be speed limited at 108 mph unless it has been reprogrammed.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:03 AM

Seriously? I am speed limited because of the type of tires that were put on it about 15 years ago? That blows. What are some good ecm reprogrammers for the Camaro? Are there any DIY reprogrammers available? I've been doing some more research on Camaros and I read about RPOs. Where can I find these for my camaro? Thanks again.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:20 AM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

hp tuners is very nice

Hypertech makes some cheaper tuners, but you're only going to save a few bucks, and you will get better results from the hp tuner system.

My rpo's are in the glove compartment door. But I'm not sure where they are on the z's.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Overdrive Member

HPTuners only works on the LS1, it will not work for an LT1 car.

That being said, if you're not planning on doing any modifications you can invest in a Hypertech or other handheld tuner. They are a $300 paperweight if you're trying to get any power, but you can remove the limiter and adjust for different sized wheels/tires if you ever choose to.

If you're planning on doing some performance modifications you would probably be best off purchasing those and installing them, then contacting www.pcmforless.com and getting them to reprogram your PCM for you.

Old 06-07-2008, 01:22 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I am looking to do performance mods so. I'll probably get the cheapy tuner to get rid of the limiter now and do the small calibrations. Then as I upgrade I'll go to PCMforless. At the very least I want to upgrade my heads, cam, and headers/exhaust. Thanks again. -Rich

Old 06-07-2008, 04:57 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Hey Rich, let me know if you get a tuner because I want one too for now, my Z28 goes to 110 too, Im looking into trying to get the 150mph cluster.. I found this...

http://http://www.9c1.com/images/gauges/z28_cluster.htm

I mean they put the Z28 cluster on an impala, why wouldnt it fit on a Z28 that didnt come with Z rated tires???

Anyways, let me know how things work out for you. Thanks

-Sniper

94 Conv Z28
k&N Intake
1 Hot Passenger @ All Times

Old 06-08-2008, 03:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

could it be a B4C option cop car?